•  

Quarry Ridge 2015 Spring Work Weekend

April 19, 2015, 07:28 PM

The workday is quickly approaching! This thread is intended to share information on the planned projects and help to coordinate volunteers.

The City of Fitchburg is renting us an excavator again (Thank you!). We will use the excavator do most of the heavy work. This allows us to build bigger berms and features than we could ever imagine creating with hand tools. However, the machine can't do everything, and that's where we need you, the volunteers. The excavator will be clearing brush, building and packing the features, and doing some shaping. The final shaping and honing of the trail surface will be done by hand. This maximizes productivity and will allow us to get at least triple the number of projects completed than if we did everything with the machine and the work will be of better quality.

To efficiently plan the tasks, it would be helpful to know when people plan on attending to help shape the dirt. Please fill out the following poll:
    http://doodle.com/x9rmw3mazi8mpfkt

The current plan of attack will be as follows. Note that projects may go faster or slower than planned resulting in adjustments to what we are building. See the image of all the planned tasks and a map of where they all are located below. 
    • 4/29 after 3 pm: Clear the brush on Drop Zone. No help is needed this day.
    • 4/30 and 5/1: Work on the new Drop Zone trail. Build berms and features. Also work on the bottom of Tunnel Trail (adding rollers), fixing erosion issues and adding berms on Dizzy, and tuning Bottoms Up by enhancing current berms and adding rollers for better drainage.
    • 5/2-5/4: Work will shift to the Three Sisters side of the park. Priorities are tuning the existing trails and then rebuilding the bottom of Three Sisters into a beginner-friendly downhill with big berms.

On 5/2 or 5/3, I will need some volunteers to bring wheelbarrows to shuttle dirt. The new B. Line trail ended up with a few sandy berms due to the poor dirt in the area. I want to fill wheelbarrows with good dirt (using the excavator) and then haul the dirt to the berm, capping the feature. The plan is to dig good dirt uphilll from the berms, so you won't have to push a heavy wheelbarrow uphill! PM me or post here with date/time that you could bring a wheelbarrow to help out. If we have 3-5 wheelbarrows, I think we can shuttle all the dirt required in less than 90 minutes.

XXX

April 27, 2015, 08:01 PM

We still need some people who can bring wheelbarrows. Let me know if you can help.

XXX

April 28, 2015, 09:09 AM

We're going to shuttle the dirt at 10 am Sunday. One person is bringing a wheelbarrow and we have one at the park. If anyone else can bring one to help out, that would be great.

Thanks!

XXX

April 29, 2015, 03:30 PM

bringing a wheelbarrow on Saturday

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 29, 2015, 04:27 PM

I should be there Sunday morning with a wheelbarrow.

XXX

April 30, 2015, 12:31 AM

Looks like we have enough wheelbarrows. Thanks everyone! Work went well today. Drop Zone is completely clear of trees and brush. Kind of amazing, you couldn't walk through the area before and now it is 10-20 feet wide of open area between the big trees. We'll start building the berms and jumps on this line on Thursday and do some work on Bottoms Up and Dizzy.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

May 02, 2015, 04:54 PM

My bad, it looks like I don't actually have a wheel barrow to bring tomorrow. Hopefully someone who has one will see this in time.

XXX

May 02, 2015, 08:34 PM

No need to bring wheelbarrows. That project ended up changing and we no longer need to truck the dirt.

XXX

May 03, 2015, 08:51 PM

Nice to meet you all, glad I was able to come out and offer a hand.  Hope to see you out riding sometime!
    Dave