•  

Blue Mound Action Alert

Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

July 24, 2015, 09:14 AM

TODAY IS THE FINAL DAY FOR PUBLIC COMMENT.
    Please send your email in support of Mountain Biking at Blue Mound now!

ACTION ALERT: WE NEED YOUR HELP BY JULY 31, 2015 - Public comments are needed in support of Mountain Biking at Blue Mound State Park. The park is currently undergoing an Amendment Process to the parks Master Plan which dictates how the park may be used in the future. Once this Master Plan is finalized it is not easily amended, in fact, it’s only been amended twice since 1980. If we do not act now to secure our current position and advocate for expansion of the MTB trails WE COULD LOSE ACCESS.

Currently the DNR is hesitant to allow any expansion of the park’s MTB trail system. The park has beautiful land and exciting terrain for MTB trails should we be granted permission to expand the trail system.
    For now, we want to protect the trail access we currently enjoy and advocate for expansion of the MTB system.

The amendment process is also considering many other issues at the park including allowing snowmobile access. More information on the amendment and process may be found here: Blue Mound Master Plan

What do we need you to do?
    1.   Contact Paul Zajackowski  BY JULY 31st and state that you wish they continue to allow mountain biking at Blue Mound State Park AND that you wish for the park to EXPAND the current mountain biking trail system. (It is important to be specific about the Mountain Biking trails)

Paul may be reached via email, phone or by writing:
    Paul.Zajackowski@wisconsin.gov
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
    3911 Fish Hatchery Road, Fitchburg, WI 53711
    608-275-3276

2.   Share this post with anyone and everyone you know who cares about MTB in the Midwest. We need as many people as possible to voice their support for our sport. Ask your mom, dad, brothers, sisters and anyone you see on the trail to send a message.

3.   Go enjoy the trails at Blue Mound! They are open and in great condition. Check out the new Friends shelter, pool/splash pad and have some fun!
    ACT NOW! ALL COMMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 31St (next Friday)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:14 AM by Renegade Rick »

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

July 29, 2015, 07:10 AM

Did you send in your email of support for MTB at Blue Mound yet? No time like the present!

There are only a few days left to comment. Make sure your voice is heard!

Here is what I sent in. Please feel free to use this as inspiration (but note that the beliefs expressed in this message are entirely my own, and that they in no way represent any sort of official opinion from CORP... I'm a volunteer, not a Board Member).

Quote from: Rick Nowak

Greetings!

Thank you for accepting public input on the master plan for Blue Mound State Park.

I'm a mountain biker and that is how I was introduced to the park, but I have since brought friends and family for hiking, camping and swimming. I enjoyed fat biking at Blue Mound this winter. The park is a real gem.

It's no secret that Blue Mound has some of the most challenging trails in the area, and it is important that these be preserved. It is also important that beginner and intermediate mountain bike trails be developed in the park and possibly neighboring areas. This would be a great complement to the camping amenities already offered.

I believe that Walter Hougas has a great vision for the MTB trail system at Blue Mound, and that his plans should be strongly considered. I believe his plans will do much to create a mountain bike trail system for all skill levels.

I heard discussion of connecting the Blue Mound trail system to Brigham Park. I think this is an excellent idea. I believe a professionally built beginner / intermediate flow trail system in this park would be an excellent complement to the area. I believe that this trail system must be professionally developed to be sustainable as there is no current community of support like there is at Blue Mound.

On the topic of snowmobiles, based on the plans I saw showing their desire to cut through the park in the area of the overlode MTB trail I believe there would be little conflict with the MTB community, even with fat biking in the winter, but I do understand the noise concerns. This is a challenging issue.

On the other hand, continued mountain biking at Blue Mound is no challenge at all. It's obvious that MTB should be continued and expanded to support a larger and more diverse community.

Thank You,

Rick Nowak

Get going!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:15 AM by Renegade Rick »