•  

Ferry----->fat bike beach ride

July 31, 2015, 07:52 AM

I know I have read lots of blog posts about taking the Badger (I think) across the lake to MI and do an overnight beach ride.

Have any of you done it?  Would you share some of your insight? 

I am interested in such a trip, but I don't know where to start learning about land access issues, permits for camping, weather or not camping is allowed on the beach of the Nat. Forrest.

any insight would be appreciated.

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX

July 31, 2015, 09:40 AM

Sounds pretty awesome.  I've never done it, but if you haven't ridden beach before, I did learn a few things from a short ride I did near Sheboygan:

*water levels are up meaning places that used to be rideable may not be anymore: http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/dashboard/GLWLD.html
    *sand gets all over anything moving or threaded - drivetrain, quick releases, etc. 
    *aggressive tires that work great in snow are really unnecessary and slow you down more than you might think
    *I wasn't trespassing as long as I stayed next to the water on wet sand.  This is by far the fastest/easiest place to ride anyway

I got lots of good advice from a Sheboygan area mountain biking facebook page, so I'd recommend trying to find something similar in MI. Riding on the beach was really fun with lots of natural features to play on like logs and drops created by the small streams feeding into the lake.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2015, 10:30 AM

Been there, done that ;)
    I have been lucky enough to do just that with my work. The first time was because a meeting made me miss the fast ferry back, and I just happened to have my fatty with....so time to ride the beach! Rode south for over an hour, then turned back and rode the whole way with the sun setting over the lake. I was hooked.
    Funny enough I have not ridden much of the beaches on the WI side of the lake. I think there is more/wider beach to ride on the other side of the lake. Prevailing winds and all. FYI: All beaches in Michigan are open to riding, even the state owned property. Actually the only beach land on all of the Great Lakes not open to riding is in the Wisconsin State Parks. A sad commentary if you ask me.
    Anyway, I have ridden the SS Badger, from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. Huge old ship. Still runs on coal. More like a short 4 hour cruise. Lots to do on board. Also ~$30 cheaper each way IIRC. Though I have not ridden the beaches around Ludington so I don't have much personal input there. Though from the looks of Google Earth you should be able to ride right off the ship, jump on the beach, and ride the few miles north to Ludington State Park.
    I have also ridden what I call the fast ferry, really the Lake Express, from Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI. It is a much smaller and faster boat. You cruise at 45mph. It is damn windy if you go on deck! It only takes 2 hours to cross. 2 1/2 hours from on to off the ship.  Interior is like being on a really wide plane. Really nice for business. I know the beach here well. At Muskegon you go through an inlet to Muskegon Lake. You can ride north or south from Muskegon to your hearts content. Lots of beach. On the south side of the inlet where the ship enters the lake (south side) is a very popular and massive beach. I think over 20 sand volleyball courts set up. It is really popular in the summer and great for beach watching. This is also the place I took my first ride. Though I did it in October, so not too many swimsuits around then ;-) If you ride north around Muskegon Lake (there is a nice pedestrian bike path), you end up right at Muskegon State Park. You can even set up camp right on the inlet and watch the ships and ferry come and go. There is also a cool museum there with a war ship and the USS Silversides, a restored WWII submarine, and the Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum that is located at the inlet as well. You will sail past them on the ferry.
    Really I don't think you can go wrong with a bike trip on either ferry. I have been trying to talk my family into doing the same trip. I think it would be a great way to spend a few days. I would stay over a couple of days if you can. Lots of riding to do, and lots of things to explore by bike, on the other side.
    Also I think Bear and some others took one of the ferry's over this spring and did a brewery tour?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 31, 2015, 11:09 AM

I got some conflicting information about riding kholer andrae state park in WI, but I ended up talking to a ranger in the park and he said it was fine as long as I was within a couple feet of the water on wet sand.  I suppose it could be that he didn't fully understand or agree with the rules though.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2015, 11:39 AM

I got some conflicting information about riding kholer andrae state park in WI, but I ended up talking to a ranger in the park and he said it was fine as long as I was within a couple feet of the water on wet sand.  I suppose it could be that he didn't fully understand or agree with the rules though.
    Sounds like you got lucky. Officially the DNR has ruled that you can't ride within the park. I have been told that they really only enforce it in the beach area, but Your Mileage May Vary.
    I rode, late at night, along the 2 mile beach at Madeleine Island State Park. There was not another person in sight for the entire ride. At was a great late-day ride. The rangers tracked me down the next day. Justifying that I was the only one at the campground with a fat bike, and therefore I was guilty. Of what? I only rode at waterline. I did not ride in the sensitive grasses. Did not ride on restored dunes, etc. They gave my wife Janet a talking to (I was out of camp at the time). She is a DNR employee and so I will not ever ride on WI DNR land again. She can actually get in trouble if anyone in her family violates rules at a park in the new Fitzwalkerstan. Nice.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 01, 2015, 02:40 PM

Sounds pretty awesome.  I've never done it, but if you haven't ridden beach before, I did learn a few things from a short ride I did near Sheboygan:

*water levels are up meaning places that used to be rideable may not be anymore: http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/dashboard/GLWLD.html
    *sand gets all over anything moving or threaded - drivetrain, quick releases, etc. 
    *aggressive tires that work great in snow are really unnecessary and slow you down more than you might think
    *I wasn't trespassing as long as I stayed next to the water on wet sand.  This is by far the fastest/easiest place to ride anyway

I got lots of good advice from a Sheboygan area mountain biking facebook page, so I'd recommend trying to find something similar in MI. Riding on the beach was really fun with lots of natural features to play on like logs and drops created by the small streams feeding into the lake.

You aren't lying- I flew kites two years ago at A/K State Park (by the dunes) with plenty of room.  Last year, same spot, not enough beach.  Not even CLOSE.  its a good sign for sure (remind your friends of that next time they bellyache about super cold winters- ice doesn't evaporate like open water)

My drive train is sealed right the heck up.  Alfine 8-speed has been like heaven since I switched.  I would rather someone else made a bomb proof one (I would love a IG hub full of angry bees)

I'm no legal scholar, but I have heard that the "wet feet" argument doesn't hold up.  It used to be the accepted policy when canoers (canoist, canudist, whatever) /kayakers had a dust up with a land owner but I think it has been replaced with a "normal highwater mark" rule of thumb.  That is more on rivers and land locked lakes, I don't know how that coralates to The Great Lakes. I only bring it up, not to be argumentative, but because I would hate to see anyone have a trip ruined by an overzealous park employee/land owner; especially if great beach riding is a short and inexpensive boat ride away.

I appreciate all your tips. very helpful.

XXX

August 01, 2015, 02:45 PM

Been there, done that ;)
    I have been lucky enough to do just that with my work. The first time was because a meeting made me miss the fast ferry back, and I just happened to have my fatty with....so time to ride the beach! Rode south for over an hour, then turned back and rode the whole way with the sun setting over the lake. I was hooked.
    Funny enough I have not ridden much of the beaches on the WI side of the lake. I think there is more/wider beach to ride on the other side of the lake. Prevailing winds and all. FYI: All beaches in Michigan are open to riding, even the state owned property. Actually the only beach land on all of the Great Lakes not open to riding is in the Wisconsin State Parks. A sad commentary if you ask me.
    Anyway, I have ridden the SS Badger, from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. Huge old ship. Still runs on coal. More like a short 4 hour cruise. Lots to do on board. Also ~$30 cheaper each way IIRC. Though I have not ridden the beaches around Ludington so I don't have much personal input there. Though from the looks of Google Earth you should be able to ride right off the ship, jump on the beach, and ride the few miles north to Ludington State Park.
    I have also ridden what I call the fast ferry, really the Lake Express, from Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI. It is a much smaller and faster boat. You cruise at 45mph. It is damn windy if you go on deck! It only takes 2 hours to cross. 2 1/2 hours from on to off the ship.  Interior is like being on a really wide plane. Really nice for business. I know the beach here well. At Muskegon you go through an inlet to Muskegon Lake. You can ride north or south from Muskegon to your hearts content. Lots of beach. On the south side of the inlet where the ship enters the lake (south side) is a very popular and massive beach. I think over 20 sand volleyball courts set up. It is really popular in the summer and great for beach watching. This is also the place I took my first ride. Though I did it in October, so not too many swimsuits around then ;-) If you ride north around Muskegon Lake (there is a nice pedestrian bike path), you end up right at Muskegon State Park. You can even set up camp right on the inlet and watch the ships and ferry come and go. There is also a cool museum there with a war ship and the USS Silversides, a restored WWII submarine, and the Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum that is located at the inlet as well. You will sail past them on the ferry.
    Really I don't think you can go wrong with a bike trip on either ferry. I have been trying to talk my family into doing the same trip. I think it would be a great way to spend a few days. I would stay over a couple of days if you can. Lots of riding to do, and lots of things to explore by bike, on the other side.
    Also I think Bear and some others took one of the ferry's over this spring and did a brewery tour?

That's a boat-load (see what I did there) of good info Chuck, Thanks. Now I DOUBLE want to do it.  Maybe this Sept around the kite festival in Two Rivers.  hmmmmm

I always think about a trip across on one ferry, bikepack/tour to the other ferry, bike back to the car.

XXX

August 01, 2015, 02:58 PM

Sounds like you got lucky. Officially the DNR has ruled that you can't ride within the park. I have been told that they really only enforce it in the beach area, but Your Mileage May Vary.
    I rode, late at night, along the 2 mile beach at Madeleine Island State Park. There was not another person in sight for the entire ride. At was a great late-day ride. The rangers tracked me down the next day. Justifying that I was the only one at the campground with a fat bike, and therefore I was guilty. Of what? I only rode at waterline. I did not ride in the sensitive grasses. Did not ride on restored dunes, etc. They gave my wife Janet a talking to (I was out of camp at the time). She is a DNR employee and so I will not ever ride on WI DNR land again. She can actually get in trouble if anyone in her family violates rules at a park in the new Fitzwalkerstan. Nice.
    Not to pile on (if for no other reason, I appreciate anyones willingness to weigh in), but I am sorta with Chuck here. I asked some locals at whatever the park is in Sheboygan Falls (very nice guys, great park) and their reply was- sure thing dude, we ride there all the time and nobody hassles us.   I asked at the main office at A/K State Park about fat bike acess and got a very snotty and stern recitation of the parks "no bikes off the paved roads. not now not never" policy.  She then followed up by letting me know that to the north there is private landowners who call the cops any time they see bikes on the beach (I swear, she smiled ear to ear and bared pointy teeth.  you could even see where the live kittens she ate for lunch were still stuck in some of her back teeth.  red glowing eyes.  and her head spun all the way around) When I asked about some other things I wanted to do in the park her tone got downright pleasant while she told me all the best places to do the other things I wanted to do.

as Chuck says- your mileage may vary

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

August 02, 2015, 11:43 PM

Been there, done that ;)

That's a boat-load (see what I did there) of good info Chuck, Thanks. Now I DOUBLE want to do it.  Maybe this Sept around the kite festival in Two Rivers.  hmmmmm

I always think about a trip across on one ferry, bikepack/tour to the other ferry, bike back to the car.
    I actually did the similar....without a bike two weeks ago. It is just the way my business trip worked out. Over on the Lake Express. Back on the SS Badger. Definately doable by bike. They are only about 50 miles apart on the MI side. There is even a real nice singletrack on the way that could be ridden if one was so inclined.
    I have to say the slower Badger was a more fun trip. Less business like and slower, but more fun. Left on the 7p out of Ludington. Perfect night. Watched the sun set over Lake Michigan - the sunset lasts over an hour out on the open lake. Went below deck and ate dinner. Then went back up top (another beer) while the skies darkened and the stars came out. The stars on the middle of the really dark lake are just astounding. No light pollution anywhere to drown them out. Milky Way is bright. Falling stars. Amazing. A bonus is to watch lit up freighters passing on the lake.
    With the time change we got into Manitowoc around midnight (1/2 hour behind schedule). That was good for me as my hotel for the night was only about three blocks from where we docked. If you are staying in Manitowoc the Best Western is right at the harbor, and you can eat breakfast on the veranda while watching the sun come up across the lake. A great addition to the lake experience.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 04, 2015, 09:40 PM

Been there, done that ;)

I actually did the similar....without a bike two weeks ago. It is just the way my business trip worked out. Over on the Lake Express. Back on the SS Badger. Definately doable by bike. They are only about 50 miles apart on the MI side. There is even a real nice singletrack on the way that could be ridden if one was so inclined.
    I have to say the slower Badger was a more fun trip. Less business like and slower, but more fun. Left on the 7p out of Ludington. Perfect night. Watched the sun set over Lake Michigan - the sunset lasts over an hour out on the open lake. Went below deck and ate dinner. Then went back up top (another beer) while the skies darkened and the stars came out. The stars on the middle of the really dark lake are just astounding. No light pollution anywhere to drown them out. Milky Way is bright. Falling stars. Amazing. A bonus is to watch lit up freighters passing on the lake.
    With the time change we got into Manitowoc around midnight (1/2 hour behind schedule). That was good for me as my hotel for the night was only about three blocks from where we docked. If you are staying in Manitowoc the Best Western is right at the harbor, and you can eat breakfast on the veranda while watching the sun come up across the lake. A great addition to the lake experience.

sounds nice.

you spend a lot of time on the road for work.  You're a sales rep for Callahan Auto Parts, aren't you? I KNEW it!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

August 04, 2015, 11:32 PM

Been there, done that ;)

sounds nice.

you spend a lot of time on the road for work.  You're a sales rep for Callahan Auto Parts, aren't you? I KNEW it!
    It's all about the cows baby!

~ Chuck Hutchens