•  

"old school" bontrager race disc wheelset

August 25, 2015, 01:34 AM

so my co worker has a wheelset he is willing to get rid of.

Bontrager Race Disc 26" w/ 6 bolt rotor mounts setup for 9mm QR skewers. Rims are yellow with bontrager stickers on them and bontrager hubs.

this is the best piece of info i have found online so far about these as far as age and a picture that matches what his looked like. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/539255/?directtofirstphoto

mtbr had some old threads that talked about rims cracking, nipples failing, etc yet other peoples reviews said they rode them hard for multiple seasons with no issues.

the deal:
    my co worker has another NOS bontrager rim that he wants built into a wheel with another hub he already has. he says if i take that rim and his hub and get it laced up into a usable wheel i can have the yellow race disc wheel set (including the older with good tread maxxis 1.8 x 26 tires on them with good tubes, and rotor that is on one of the wheels).

he got quoted $50 labor plus cost of spokes to have the hub and rim (28 hole) laced up. my previous experience with having a wheel built cost me $1/spoke, so if i bite on this deal i'm essentially paying ~$80 for a front and rear bontrager race disc wheelset that appears to me to be in quite good shape and manufactured somewhere between the years 2000-2005.

i'm looking to acquire this wheel set as a backup/spare for my trail bike as it is 10 years old and i'm sure i will be needing new wheels or something at some point. i already had the front hub cleaned and re-packed at camrock sport a few weeks ago and there is no telling how long that will last before its just done.

i'm really not sure if the wheel set is worth that much. should i take it, walk away? for that price are they worth replacing spokes if the nipples start failing? if the rims crack then at least i have some usable hubs? or are the hubs not worth lacing into another rim? any first hand or industry knowledge any of you might have on these will be greatly appreciated.

XXX

September 02, 2015, 11:30 PM

So no one has any experience with these eh? Did i post in the wrong area of the forum?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 03, 2015, 08:15 AM

I was looking for 26 in wheels to replace some premium wheels on a bike for sale. There were new wheel sets for same or less money than some wanted for used wheels. The sticking point is the new cheap wheels have wider rims. Narrow rims suck if you want some combo of modern wide tires or tubeless. They'll be fine with an appropriate tire.