•  

Blue Mound Trail Work June 1st

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

May 27, 2013, 07:18 AM

When: 9AM for everyone. Come earlier if you can help supervise.

Where: Blue Mound State Park. Drive west from Madison on 18-151. The next exit after Mount Horeb is for the town of Blue Mounds. Take that one and follow the brown signs to get to the park. Tell the friendly person at the park entrance you are volunteering to work on the bike trails, and they will give you a day pass to park for free. Take the first right and park in the swimming pool parking lot.

What's happening: We will be doing repairs to the beginner section of the trail. Depending on how many people show up, we will split up into 2 or 3 work crews and walk to one of 3 places between the trail head and Chert Dip. We will mostly be digging out black mud and over-filling with gravel. It's hard work, but your efforts will result in a more wet resistant trail.

What to bring: Gloves, a snack, water, boots (if you have 'em). A shovel. (We have lots of dirt scraping tools, but not so many shovels).

The schedule will be to work from 9 to 1:30. We will have a lunch of brats and beer afterward at the shelter on the top of the mound. A BIG thanks to Ale Asylum for their generous donation!

I'm not planning any work after lunch. Sunday is the rain or optional work day. Unfortunately due to the unusually wet spring it's highly unlikely the trails will be open to ride this coming weekend.

Walt

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:13 PM by Tim Barber »

XXX

May 28, 2013, 05:49 AM

Just a general heads up, there is also an 11k/22k trail run also being held this Saturday at Blue Mound, details here http://wisconsintrailruns.com/

I know they will be using a large portion of the trails and the lower shelter near the pool. Not sure if that will conflict with the trail work, but might be wise to keep an eye out for schools of non-wheeled park users.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

May 28, 2013, 01:05 PM

Just a general heads up, there is also an 11k/22k trail run also being held this Saturday at Blue Mound, details here http://wisconsintrailruns.com/

I know they will be using a large portion of the trails and the lower shelter near the pool. Not sure if that will conflict with the trail work, but might be wise to keep an eye out for schools of non-wheeled park users.
    I would really question if or why there would be a trail run on closed trails? Does not seem fair to have anyone, particularly groups that are not helping build and maintain the trails, wreck the work of those that are working to preserve them.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 28, 2013, 01:44 PM

For some reason the normal rules do not apply to foot traffic, and of course, they don't have to pay for a trail pass. We mentioned this last year to the land manager and he agreed that foot traffic should really not be using the trails when muddy, and considered changes to the signs to reflect this, but that is the last I heard.

To their credit, this is the Friend's group that organizes this, who do a lot for the park including the new shelter, and the weather is generally not this bad this time of year.

I'm hoping they postpone the run until a later date given the conditions and forecast for this week.