•  

CORP/IMBA members and local MTB riders. We have a crisis.

Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 17, 2013, 10:38 AM

CORP/IMBA members and local MTB riders.  We have a crisis.

The local MTB scene is in a fragile state where too few are being asked to do too much.  Demands of ambitious land mangers or the patent lack of action by other land managers or governmental agencies have created a situation putting CORP at a crossroads.

We simply have too much on our plate for the very very few volunteers that are sacrificing significant personal and business time to keep the trails in rideable condition.

We have too few active members willing to take a role in any project. Everyday I hear "What does CORP do for me?"  Need I reference President Kennedy here?  Come on people CORP does a crap ton for you.  Without the over 10 years of people busting their ass you would not have a single trail to ride an MTB in Dane County.  In simple terms that is what CORP has done for you.  Now more than ever we need to hear "What can I do to help CORP create more riding opportunities?"

Blue Mounds without CORP, nothing to ride.  CamRock without CORP, no trail, no WORS race.  Quarry Ridge without CORP, no features or jumps, just woods.  Nothing.  Middleton Bike Park without CORP, more parking for golfers at Pleasant View.  Dawley, Brigham, Elver, Glenway??  Never heard of these places?  That's because we are working on those with insufficient manpower to get anywhere. 

That is what CORP is doing for you.  Do we ask for much?  Hell yes CORP asks.  We ask you join and pay the IMBA dues.  First and foremost that gives us a few bucks and more importantly membership numbers.  Those numbers translate in to real legitimate opportunities to gain grant money.  That money can be turned in to more trails.  More place to ride, more events to attend, more places for kids and families.  That's what CORP is doing for you.

We need more leaders.  More people willing to lead a group ride.  That is not swinging a tool or getting dirty.  Lead a regular ride.  We need folks with grant writing experience, not getting dirty but wordsmithing a document.  We need folks to stand at events like Ride-the-drive or the Saris Gala and promote CORP. We need members to talk about CORP, wear some kit, chat up the bike shop employees that for some reason are completely unaware of the local trails, hand out cards, deliver brochures, hang up posters.  We are more  than a bunch of doods that browbeat everyone who steps in to drudging through a work weekend swinging tools.

This is a call to arms.  A plea for help.  Step up folks.  When you are on the trail, ask every rider you happen to chat with if they know about CORP, if they would consider joining, and if they can lend a hand. 

~ i like social d

XXX
    singletrackminx

July 17, 2013, 11:40 AM

I write proposals for a living. Seriously, it's been my job for the last 4 years. I would love to write some proposals and grant applications. I can do this mostly on my own but will need some info on CORP. don't know who can cooordinate getting that info. Mainly things like tax ids, mission/vision statements, history and most importantly project plans and objectives. I can write everything we don't have. I know a lot of grant deadlines for recreational use are in the fall/winter. Message me and I can get to work.

Patricia

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 17, 2013, 12:42 PM

We can get all of that info to you.  I've looped you in to a project management suite where we can collaborate on the applications and share info.

~ i like social d

XXX

July 19, 2013, 08:52 AM

I am willing to lend power equipment (brush saws/mowers/chainsaws), hand tools  and PPE to anyone willing to work on the trails at Blue Mounds or other local trails on the weekends or evenings. Our shop is about a 15-minute drive from Blue Mounds, between Madison and the park. What is the deal with doing trail maintenance out there? Can you just show up with a brush saw and get to work? Or is there some paperwork involved?

Does CORP have enough $ to hire a summer seasonal or two to help with trails, grants etc? If not, can we make this a priority?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Adaptive Restoration LLC

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 19, 2013, 08:57 AM

Mike, the best guy to talk directly to is Walt Hougas the trail steward at Blue Mounds.  He's got all of the inside info on what can be done and what is needed.  Re summer seasonal help we are not quite there yet financially.  Maybe in a year or two with some good organic growth of our membership and fundraising capabilities. 

~ i like social d

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

July 19, 2013, 11:10 AM

I'm not exactly clear on this, but will fill you in with what I know. Kevin (DNR land manager for Blue Mounds) had us fill out forms for being a volunteer and using power equipment on DNR property.  The form states that any non-DNR power tools need to be approved by the land manager, so if you are bringing in your own equipment it would be a good idea to check it with Kevin. Also, there are specific requirements (gear, training) for certain power tools, such as chainsaws. 

Edit: actually I'm not sure that form applies to power equipment that isn't listed. Walter probably knows, or can find out.

The form can be downloaded here:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:26 AM by Gary S »

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 21, 2013, 08:06 AM

I am willing to lend power equipment (brush saws/mowers/chainsaws), hand tools  and PPE to anyone willing to work on the trails at Blue Mounds or other local trails on the weekends or evenings. Our shop is about a 15-minute drive from Blue Mounds, between Madison and the park. What is the deal with doing trail maintenance out there? Can you just show up with a brush saw and get to work? Or is there some paperwork involved?

Does CORP have enough $ to hire a summer seasonal or two to help with trails, grants etc? If not, can we make this a priority?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Adaptive Restoration LLC

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 21, 2013, 08:13 AM

Cheers,
    Mike
    Adaptive Restoration LLC

Mike, first thank you for your kind offer of help. Pretty much anyone can cut weeds without supervision at most any time. Same for cutting deadfall or tree branches with hand tools. Beyond that, you need to check with the park manager Kevin Swenson for using a power saw.

Unfortunately we don't currently have money to pay for trail maintenance. (We don't have money to cover what we need for trail building either. But that's another story.)

Walt

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 21, 2013, 08:31 AM

Cheers,
    Mike
    Adaptive Restoration LLC

Thank you for your interest and first post here! Please keep it up.

We have some new interest in working on grants, fundraising and help and need more. We're caught this year with more riders than ever but fewer who renewed their IMBA membership and fewer showing up at work days.

There is more risk without new or more people stepping up because a few individuals are at 10+ years of giving incredible amounts of time and money across the area trails. They are planning to retire.

People interested in trail work should consider the upcoming IMBA and WI DNR trail schools. One is near Wausau in a few weeks. There is also a certification for chainsaw use called FSTA that should be considered. The area land managers require that to do chainsaw work on the properties.

This book is a good item for people interested in helping.

http://www.imba.com/catalog/book-trail-solutions

Any help at any site on any day will be appreciated. Same for help with membership and fundraising so we can get more done.

Thank you.

XXX

July 21, 2013, 10:06 AM

Walt, Gary, Nelson et. al.,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the scoop on trail work.  I may head out to Blue Mounds this week to check things out. If folks are inspired to do some weed clearing feel free to PM me and I can set you up with a brush saw or weed whip.

Cheers,
    Mike