•  

Tunnel Trail Name Origin?

November 14, 2015, 07:39 PM

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to mountain biking and CORP. I rode with the Westside Composite high school team, and I've helped out at a couple of trail builds, but other than that, I haven't seen much of the social side of mountain biking.

I mostly ride Quarry Ridge, and the last time I was out, I rode Tunnel for the first time. Given the name, I was expecting a Tunnel somewhere, or maybe another feature like where Drop Zone crosses Bottoms Up. The name's been bugging me since. I checked some of the old threads, but there is just a reference in the older naming thread ( http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=283.0 ) to calling a trail "the Tunnel."

Can anyone shine some light on this? I get the other names, but this one's got me, and it's always fun to learn some local history.

Thanks,
    Connor

XXX
    Brett.Oesterle

November 17, 2015, 04:19 PM

This is a guess but I think it comes from how the trail goes through a big ditch which creates a 3/4 pipe that you ride through.

XXX

November 17, 2015, 11:48 PM

Brett's answer is spot on. The trail was originally cut in 2009. It's been modified quite a bit since then.

XXX

November 25, 2015, 01:58 PM

Thanks guys, that makes more sense now that I think about.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk