•  

2021 Pleasant View Upkeep

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 04, 2021, 08:19 AM

Hi,

With low turnout 6/3, we could only trim the worst areas so Mulligan prairie area will likely need attention soon.

Trail use is really high so we also need more volunteers. We still have dirt work unfinished from the spring work day and some finish and tweak work for new trail areas.  If you'd like to help please send email to pleasantview at madcitydirt.com.

Thank you.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 19, 2021, 09:03 PM

Report of a tree down, at the bottom of Slice near where it splits off to Blackhawk.  Not sure if it's a handsaw or chainsaw operation.

XXX

July 07, 2021, 10:34 AM

Refilled the gas-oil mix for the trimmers. The trimmers, however, need a bit of repair that I did not have time to deal with today. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow. Trimmed part of the jump line before it became clear what the problem was.

XXX

July 10, 2021, 06:35 PM

Trimmed mulligan prairie and the chip shot climb. The latter could use a little more attention. It’s clear but I ran out of time to get it really nice. Trimmer is working again.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:53 PM by Rwill »

XXX

July 12, 2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks to Sue and Karl for finishing up the chip shot climb and slice berms under the power lines. Remaining areas of high priority for trimming:

• The skinny/northshore features on the fairway return near the jump line.
    • Fairway prairie section (just starting to become a problem, be easier to do it now rather than later).
    • Post-prairie section of mulligan (by the big right-hand berm).

One thing virtually anyone can do while riding is if you find something encroaching on you / the trail from above, see if you can yank it down or break it and just toss it off to the side. Same with any random large debris you find on the trails. A few seconds deviation from riding saves the volunteers a lot of time walking out with shears.

Glad to see more volunteers helping with trimming. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

XXX

July 27, 2021, 09:31 PM

Got to the western section on the prairie and the far end of Mulligan.

• The skinny/northshore features on the fairway return near the jump line.
    • Fairway prairie section (just starting to become a problem, be easier to do it now rather than later).
    • Post-prairie section of mulligan (by the big right-hand berm).

One thing virtually anyone can do while riding is if you find something encroaching on you / the trail from above, see if you can yank it down or break it and just toss it off to the side. Same with any random large debris you find on the trails. A few seconds deviation from riding saves the volunteers a lot of time walking out with shears.

Glad to see more volunteers helping with trimming. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

XXX

July 27, 2021, 10:36 PM

I was out this evening and greatly appreciated your efforts. Looks great.

XXX

August 05, 2021, 08:15 AM

Pleasant View is looking really good on trimming. Big thanks to all the volunteers who stepped up to make that happen.

Current needs:
    The post-prairie / through the woods section of mulligan could use some clearing of branches encroaching from overhead. This could probably be accomplish by hand during a ride. I will try to do it next time I’m out, but if someone gets to it sooner, great.

Weeds on the chipshot climb are coming back in surprisingly fast. Currently ok but will likely become a problem before long.

The good news is the rate of new growth is definitely slowing as the amount of daily sunlight decreases. Thanks again to everyone helping to keep these trails riding well. Look out for upcoming announcement of Fall workday, where we will likely focus on doing a big dirt refresh of Slice.

XXX

August 17, 2021, 08:14 AM

Rain accelerated the need for trimming a bit. Currently nothing that I know of is in horrible shape, but it would be great if we could prevent it from ever getting there. Below are the current high priority areas.

Be on the lookout for upcoming workday announcements.

• ChipShot climb
    • Both of the wooded sections of Mulligan
    • Fairway through the west woods leading to the Slice/Mulligan interchange
    • Fairway prairie (as always, full sun + rain = fast growing)

XXX

September 13, 2021, 10:03 AM

Chip Shot is trimmed. The prairie section of Mulligan could use some attention. The main prairie section of Fairway could also do with a trim, although its not too bad. The good news is this is likely the last big push on trimming for the year. Growth rates are really slowing down.