•  

7/31 Sauk Prairie Recreation Area master plan meeting

sauksauer
    The Dam Trails - Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 23, 2013, 10:20 PM

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/masterplanning/SaukPrairie/

For anyone interested...The DNR is holding a meeting regarding the future use of Sauk Prairie Recreation area.  (formerly Badger Ammo Plant)  This master plan will lock in future uses of the area for 15 years.  I will be going and lobbying for potential future singletrack trails to be included as a possibility.  In my opinion there is certainly some buildable terrain...particularly toward the North end where the hills climb to meet Devils Lake state park.  Inclusion of mountain biking as a possible use does not require commitments from any particular groups to take the reins and build.  Exclusion, however, prevents any possibility of being able to build. The meeting announcement is found by scrolling a little ways down the page included above.  If interested but unable to attend, there is a link provided to submit written comments to the planners.   

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 23, 2013, 10:59 PM

Thank you for your efforts.

I cannot make that date so I filled out the form asking for a network of single track trails.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 24, 2013, 07:59 AM

Do we use the survey link to request that MTB trails be included?

XXX
    sauksauer
    Trail Steward

July 24, 2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks William.  I'm pretty sure the survey link is correct Nate. 

XXX
    sauksauer
    Trail Steward

July 24, 2013, 09:06 AM

If filling out an onlne comment, I think its important to clarify that we are looking to construct sustainable trails designed by and for mountain bike riders..  These trails can double very well as snowshoe trails, and hikers may use them also, but there is a difference between singletrack trails and the cross country ski trails or multi use trails such as those in Devil's Lake state park. I'm not confident that administrators all know that there is a difference and I fear that they may believe that the rails to trails corridor satisfies the need for mountain bike trails. Thanks!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 24, 2013, 09:28 AM

If filling out an onlne comment, I think its important to clarify that we are looking to construct sustainable trails designed by and for mountain bike riders..  These trails can double very well as snowshoe trails, and hikers may use them also, but there is a difference between singletrack trails and the cross country ski trails or multi use trails such as those in Devil's Lake state park. I'm not confident that administrators all know that there is a difference and I fear that they may believe that the rails to trails corridor satisfies the need for mountain bike trails. Thanks!
    VERY good point. After working with Dane County Parks for 15 years, and having singletrack trails at CamRock for all of that time, I thinkthey are finally starting to understand the difference. Is is amazingly hard to get them off of the mindset of rail-trails or 20' wide grass XC ski trails as filling the need for mountain bike trails. They think they are all "off-road trails" so they must be the same.....it has been maddeningly difficult at times to get them to understand the difference and the need for true singletrack.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 24, 2013, 09:31 AM

I was explicit and asked for developing single track trails for mountain biking, adventure running and hiking as well as single track for snow shoe and fat bike use in winter.

XXX
    singletrackminx

July 24, 2013, 12:03 PM

Filled out survey explicitly addressing single track trails and the difference in the ones located at Devils Lake. Also sent link to a number of MTBrs.

XXX
    sauksauer
    Trail Steward

July 24, 2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks everybody! 

XXX

July 24, 2013, 04:39 PM

Done and done. 
    Won’t be at the mtg, but electronically put my $0.02 in.  It bears mentioning to anyone else who intends to take the online survey: differentiate the MTB types from the folks who are looking for some singletrack motorcycle trails.

I also made mention of cyclocross.  Were all fingers on the same hand.

Personally- id like to see them move Dr Evermores stuff to the new park.  How cool would it be to have a huge pump track right in the middle of The Forevertron?

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX

July 24, 2013, 05:51 PM

Done

How cool would it be to have a huge pump track right in the middle of The Forevertron?

That would be beyond cool!

XXX

July 24, 2013, 09:47 PM

Triple done.  It is critical that everyone on this forum completes this.  Badger ammo is 25 minutes from Madison and there is no mountain biking in that area.  Natural resource budgets are tight, mountain bikers and other user groups are a way to fund and maintain trail systems.  Speak now or forever hold your peace.  The other groups who don't prefer wheels have a strong and embedded voice with land managers. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

XXX
    singletrackminx

July 25, 2013, 08:13 AM

Also I made sure to mention on the Non Recreational Opportunities plans that I was not in favor of them and that recreational opportunities are most desired.

XXX

July 25, 2013, 12:33 PM

survey done

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 25, 2013, 01:47 PM

Done!