•  

March 30th 2012

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

April 01, 2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks to everyone who showed up at Cam-Rock for their kick off to the spring work season.

I'm pretty far behind at Blue Mound, so I spent some time there on Saturday. Two new map signs got installed. One was at the Basalt and Pepper bail out, the other at the start of Holy Schist.

I sawed two large fallen trees. One was on Basalt and Pepper bail out, the other was over the Dragon Back rock feature (where a large tree fell last year).

I walked through the end of Serpentine Climb and the first mile of Holy Schist removing winter debris and verifying GPS readings for our new trail marker system. The markers for the beginner section, Chert Dip, and Serpentine Climb are in place due to the efforts of local Eagle Scout candidate Ben Washburn.

The signs are a request of Park Manager Kevin Swenson. Their main purpose is in case of an accident, to help locate an injured rider for local EMS services. I decided to take the opportunity to add information about how far each sign is from the trail head, and how to find the shortest way back to the parking lot. It's something that has been needed for a long time at Blue Mound and hopefully the new signs will make getting around the park easier for everyone who uses our trails.

Walt

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:41 PM by Gary S »