•  

Quarry Ridge Workday , Saturday 4/7, 9 am - 1 pm

April 03, 2012, 05:43 PM

Come on out to Quarry Ridge's first workday year this Saturday from 9 am - 1 pm and help make it an even better place to ride ANY type of mountain bike. As usual, we have projects for everyone:

Singletrack loop - we will be adding a 1/4 mile extension to the existing loop that will start near the flooded parking lot.  We'll also work on building the switchbacks up the Ambulance trail as an alternate route up the hill. A couple other spots with drainage issues and ruts also need the love of a rogue hoe. This is more than 1 day worth of work, so exactly which of these projects we tackle and/or finish on 4/7 will depend on the turnout.

Technical trail features - we will be rebuilding the big sister drop (so it is more of a jump) and also putting a new wooden skinny on the singletrack loop. There are also a couple berms in need of some love so come on out!

If you've never been to a work day before, don't worry! There is stuff for everyone to work on, and some of the more experience folks are always willing to help catch the new people up to speed. Just bring a good pair of work boots/old sneakers, gloves (leather work gloves are best), jeans (or other work pants), and layers that can accommodate the morning chill and afternoon sun. If you don't have all of this stuff, just try to bring some gloves.

After work wraps up (about 1 pm) we will head across the street to Buffalo Wild Wings for some wings and refreshments. If the weather is good we may be able to head back to QR to ride what we built.

See you on Saturday!

- Brendan

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:49 PM by bmmullen »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

April 04, 2012, 07:43 PM

My hope is to be there, but chances will be improved if can talk my nine-year-old daughter into coming, and chances of that are better if there were going to be some other kids in the general vicinity of her age there.  Is anyone else thinking of bringing kids along?

Jon

XXX

April 05, 2012, 02:59 AM

I'm in B.  I got to work at 2 but I'll come for working.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 05, 2012, 09:38 AM

Brendan
    Turns out I've got family commitments all day long on Saturday.
    I could pop out for a little while Friday afternoon or lunchtime if you'd want to meet to do some flagging/route discussion.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

April 05, 2012, 09:43 AM

See you guys there.

Of course ride after building?

XXX

April 06, 2012, 12:26 PM

I will be headed to Quarry Ridge at 5 pm today to do some more flagging and prep for the workday. If you are interested in pin-flagging the exact lines of the singletrack trail and/or adjustments to the tunnel trail, come on out! I drive a black subaru that will be parked out by the tool box.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 06, 2012, 01:59 PM

I was out at lunchtime, only window I had.  Things are pretty clean and in good shape except for the rutting at finish of the north end of the loop (by the picnic table) - someone must have ridden in some really deep mud there at some point.  A lot of hikers and riders inhabiting the trails today, it was kind of a clusterf* of traffic out there.
    I talked to Josh out there for a little bit - sounds like some good things in the works, not only the climb but the straightaway.  Hopefully after all the discussion you'll have a good turnout.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 06, 2012, 05:36 PM

The TTF crew is almost ready! Are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[attachment deleted by admin]
    XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 06, 2012, 06:25 PM

Was anyone able to get the mower from Cam Rock?
    XXX

April 06, 2012, 07:33 PM

Nice!!!

XXX

April 07, 2012, 12:31 PM

Sorry I didn't make it out today, I just woke up a little bit ago.  I work til 2 am so I can't be waking up early on the days I work, Sorry!!

XXX

April 07, 2012, 04:54 PM

It was great meeting everyone today.  What a great bunch of people!

I can't believe what we got accomplished in the 2 1/2 hours I was there.  I'm impressed.  Some of that stuff was hard to get through too.

This is the first time I've built trails and I learned a ton about what makes a trail rideable and sustainable.  I also learned that it takes a big, commited crew to cut them over a distance.

Me and my son (Colin) had a great time and were glad to contribute.  We hope to do it whenever we are able.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

See you on the trails!

Corey

XXX

April 07, 2012, 07:03 PM

It was great to meet you too Corey! Hope to see you around.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

XXX

April 07, 2012, 08:58 PM

Tom:

Get that new jump set and I'll be there to ride it!

Good to meet you too.

Corey

XXX

April 08, 2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday.  We accomplished A LOT:

The big sister drop was replaced by two different sized kickers that use a common open landing area. This allows for progression and will flow much better with the trail. We also will re-purposed wood from the drop to another place in the park.

The slight reroute and construction of switchbacks on the Ambulance trail is complete. There is now a connector from the main outside loop (near the wire fence) to the bottom of the Ambulance trail so it can be ridden as part of a normal xc loop. The old decking from the big sister drop has been used to cross a gulley on part of the climb.

The new entrance loop is open for business. So far we've got a trail that starts just past the pavilion and connects in to the existing singletrack loop. For now it is a 2 way connector but it will be turned into a full loop at the next work day.

LAST but not LEAST: the TTF crew built a big beginner/intermediate ladder bridge on the singletrack loop.

There is still some bench-cutting needed on the entrance trail and ambulance climb, but these trails are ready for riders NOW so get out and ride them in!