•  

Why only south half of trails groomed?

January 22, 2019, 07:52 PM

I was out riding Monday night and conditions went from a fast, well packed  from Cambridge up to the Mayors Playground to an ungroed challenge south of that (and only 2 previous tracks?)

Why weren’t the rest of the trails groomed? Will this be the pattern all winter? Should I get the snow shoes out?

XXX

January 23, 2019, 04:13 PM

You're welcome! (For one of those 2 tracks)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

January 24, 2019, 11:39 AM

The short answer is because it is done by volunteers and there are only so many hours in the day outside of work and other obligations. And it is really hard. If you take into account the machine work needed, there were probably 40 hours of volunteer work put into what you saw groomed. Over five just in the grooming.
    Longer answer: Everything that is going to groomed was groomed by Tuesday night, knowing more snow was coming.  But getting a base was key to be getting everything groomed after the next snow. 
    The Rokon does not do well in deep snow. Last night three of us spent 4 1/2 hours, over 12 hours of labor, to get the trails groomed again. The snow was really deep and hard to get through pulling the groomer. I am sure it will be a couple of days before my sore muscles are gone.
    There is a lot of CamRock III that is not groomable in this deep snow. Hills are impossible to get up.
    Feel free to snowshoe groom the rest.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 26, 2019, 09:32 AM

I just wanted to follow up real quick and apologize if I sounded accusatory in this post. I was just wandering through the forums today, and that is certainly the impression I got when I read it just now. Sorry about that.

I was just trying to figure out what was going on and inquiring about if I might be able to help. I know its a ton of work to get all the grooming done, having done what feels like a lot of stomping at Blue Mound.

Thanks so much to everyone who keeps us riding the trails all winter!