•  

Rock garden on green loop?

September 09, 2020, 05:15 PM

Since I've been stirring the pot a bit lately, I thought I'd jump into the Q.Ridge forums and start a thread here too about something a bit more specific: that uphill rock garden on the green loop.

The rocky uphill spot on Dizzy is, frankly, not a beginner-level challenge. It is the only technically challenging spot on Dizzy/Lakeview and IMHO needs a ride-around option for young/inexperienced riders (or people who just don't want to ride up rocks lol).  Has there been any talk of building a ride-around? If it helps, I would be willing to contribute labor to making it happen (schedule allowing of course).

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 10, 2020, 08:10 AM

That spot is aspirational, and back in the day sat where other loops could be done. It's also survived well. Braiding around something where it will be fall line is a risk of work that will not be sustainable or creating more work.

Having guided group, kids and beginner rides there, I've felt that spot works well.

I'm never against help, and pitching in but will keep my efforts at places that have really obvious issues with wear or haven't proven to be sustainable.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 10, 2020, 08:49 PM

Good points in both posts.  It is definitely the hardest spot in that loop, and not green.  But as William points out, it is good to have aspirational sections, and a good and necessary lesson for beginners is that sometimes you need to walk a section.  And with a ride-around you lose some incentive to try and perhaps succeed.  But I'm not categorically against a ride-around; I'd have to look to say it is or isn't physically feasible.  Something worth thinking about, anyway.

XXX

September 16, 2020, 10:26 AM

I'd have to look to say it is or isn't physically feasible
    I stopped for a closer look yesterday and it looks like it'd be feasible to have an easier option on the right side of the existing trail without any loopy routing. Maybe if there's some flat rocks available, it could be armored to make it still challenging for new riders while at least eliminating the factor of pedal strikes.

In any case, I'm just throwing out ideas to chew on. I've been riding with newer riders recently and the biggest recurring comment I've heard and seen is that when there are zero trails someone can finish a complete loop of, it's very confidence-breaking to feel like you can't even finish that first step of entering the sport (especially after multiple months of riding). It has reminded me just how easy it is for advanced/expert riders forget about some factors that affect new riders and how important it is to close up gaps in the progression curve.

P.S. - I know I've been stirring the pot a lot lately and may have reached the point of being a nuisance by now, and I apologize if that's the case. I'm just trying to find out what turns up since current and future plans aren't super transparent (except for high-profile projects like the planned pump track)

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 19, 2020, 06:57 PM

Options are challenging to design, to keep both options viable and prevent it from becoming one huge, wide trail.  I have been traveling, so haven't had a chance to look, but I'll get out, and have let Trail Steward Mike know it's something to consider.

Definitely keep commenting, it's good feedback, and I'd like to see more discussion here about what's going on, big and small.  Eventually we'll get you out to help implement things.  And you correctly point out that it is easy for advanced riders to forget what it was like to be a beginner.

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge

September 20, 2020, 03:27 PM

Mike Schrader here. Finally had a chance to check this thread out.
    Nothing is planned there. I can see both sides.
    "It's always been that way" so I guess it has never been questioned.I know at the top of  Sandy Climb there is the hardest route that is straight up and
    an easier way to right. I often take the easier way. That being said I am open to a short section around that spot. I would still like to see a challenging spot but not has hard as what is there now.
    I would love the help. Would you want to meet me out there this week to check itout? 7 am , before work or lunch time. My evenings are busy right now. Thursday is the only one free.
    email me at
    michael.schrader@madcitydirt.com and we can work something out.

XXX

September 25, 2020, 08:29 AM

Quick update here - I met Mike out there yesterday, and we agreed that making an easier option just to the left of the existing trail would be a good thing, and we broke ground. He had to leave after about a half hour though and I ran out of daylight so there's still quite a bit of digging and brush-clearing to do (it's mayyybe 40% done right now). I'll be going back out there again after work today to do more work.

P.S. - existing trail is NOT being altered so there'll still be the challenge option and nothing is going away
    P.P.S. - Judging by the comments from the passerby this is going to be a well-received change
    P.P.P.S. - There's a lot of good rocks around there so if lines permit I may make some divider rocks between the easy and hard sides into something the expert riders can enjoy

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 26, 2020, 05:36 PM

Right on!  Thanks to you and Mike.

XXX

September 27, 2020, 12:32 PM

Thanks Mike for finishing it off yesterday, and for snapping this photo :)