•  

2020-21 Near West Fat Bike Grooming.

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

December 12, 2020, 08:01 AM

It's time to groom. I will be at Blackhawk this morning doing facilities work and able to get volunteers going with the grooming machine. We always need snowshoe groomers.

Anyone who can head out with snowshoes please post your progress here.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:59 PM by Renegade Rick »

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward
    Consider the penalty for failure, dude

December 12, 2020, 06:42 PM

Is anyone planning to groom PV tomorrow? Jeff Hoerning and Mike Dobrient did BH today.

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

December 13, 2020, 06:29 PM

Is anyone planning to groom PV tomorrow? Jeff Hoerning and Mike Dobrient did BH today.

It's mostly great riding but Slice climb and top of Ziggy climb need snowshoes.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward

December 28, 2020, 07:24 AM

We removed the cover on the Snow Dog, and repaired the light.

When we did this, we could see the major design flaw with the Snow Dog -- the chair sprocket sticks out in the front, lower left of the machine. Last year I hit a rock (pinch point) and broke the chain. This is a known issue with Snow Dogs, and some have welded steel bumpers to protect the chain.

Given how many rocks we have in our trails, groomers have to be really careful not to hit any rocks -- especially with the left side of the groomer. I'll try to get out to mark the rocks with orange stakes. In the meantime, just be really careful.

Pat

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

December 30, 2020, 09:53 PM

Pleasant View is groomed and should set up overnight. If anyone sees my purple Life-Link avalanche shovel between the grotto and Blackhawk shop, please help me get it back.

Mike D and Jeff H were grooming at Blackhawk.

Thank you Scott M., Mike D, & Jeff H.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

January 29, 2021, 09:20 AM

Thank you so much Scott M., Brandon T., Kevin M. and anyone else who's been able to groom Pleasant View this cycle. Brandon and Kevin report "go ride".

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:37 PM by imwjl »

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

January 29, 2021, 12:34 PM

Cross Plains has been snoeshoed with multiple passes and 3 laps on the bike. There is definitely soft spots but it could use some more tires. We plan to snoeshoe this weekend after the snow.

~ crushing it

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:43 AM by nor »

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward

January 30, 2021, 07:12 AM

I gave myself a birthday present yesterday and groomed Blackhawk. The machine is running great, thanks to Jeff Hoerning swapping out a fouled spark plug. We're storing the machine inside now, so it starts better, and does not need the choke as much. I put the grooming sled just outside the door.

A few things:

-Groomed Switchbacks going down. It's easy to do, as long as you step off the groomer at the turns.

-Groomed the Gully Jump Line for the first time this season. It was soft, but not hard. It could use more grooming, esp. with snowshoes.

-Groomed the West Connector for the first time since the big snow. It could use another pass.

It's going to snow tonight, forecast for 3-5 inches. Please let the group know if you are able to groom on Sunday--avoiding the peak ski lesson time during the early afternoon.

~ Pat Remington

XXX

January 31, 2021, 07:52 PM

I think everything was stomped today in both PV and BH. Many to all trails were groomed in BH.

All trails in PV west of the prairie were groomed.

PV still needs the snow dog run through the prairie all the way to the trailhead to make it primo.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

February 01, 2021, 07:35 AM

A big thank you to the many volunteers who got out stomping and on the machine. If we had a good setup overnight we should some tremendous riding ahead. Thanks again.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward

February 02, 2021, 08:49 AM

All the Blackhawk trails were groomed with the Snowdog on Sunday, mid-day. I also groomed the Gully Jump Line, and Switchbacks.

I thought that the snow would set up overnight, but on Monday AM it was really soft and tough to ride.

On Monday, I rode the new "Hugh Jass" course with Brian, from Wheel and Sprocket, and flagged the course (start at East Chalet, go to the Hub, Twist and Shout, the Pines, Roller Coaster, Howling Wolff, Springs Trail, Creek Trail, up Ziggy, across the parking lot, then back on the East Connector. There are three Strava segments marked for the race (Roller Coaster, Howling Wolff, and Creek Trail/Ziggy.

Let us know if anyone can get out to groom this evening. It's going to be warm (soft) today, but cold tonight.

Pat

~ Pat Remington

XXX

February 02, 2021, 03:54 PM

Tue 3pm
    I just groomed all of PV

I widened the path on the pines jump line and made it down Howling Wolf once.

Everything at BH could still use a couple passes still.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward

February 03, 2021, 07:06 AM

Greetings,

Thanks for all the grooming (Lucas, Jeff, etc). Trails are in amazing shape.

It looks like we're going to have snow starting Thursday around noon, with up to 4-5 inches by 9-10 PM Thursday night.

How about we plan to groom BH and PV on Thursday night - the later the better?

RSVP if you can help. I plan to be there around 8 PM to either snowshoe or run the SnowDog.

Pat

PS. The machine is working better, but still does not idle well. Anyone know if we can adjust the low idle throttle?

~ Pat Remington

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Trail Steward

February 04, 2021, 03:49 PM

Planning to groom at BH at 7 tonight, with the SnowDog, and hopefully a crew of people on snowshoes.

~ Pat Remington

XXX

February 04, 2021, 04:09 PM

I'll be there, but won't be able to get out until closer to 8pm.