•  

Trimming desperately needed

June 25, 2016, 11:31 AM

This is one of the best offraod areas around now when combined with Blackhawk, but I'm sorry to say that after all this work, the trail is now somewhat awful due to no care being taken to keep the weeds down.  As soon as you get out of the woods (and even in them in some places) the weeds are right up on your sides - including itchweed and at least one instance of raspberry bushes.  As much of these paths are bi-directional, there are some areas that I've taken to calling out while riding as there is no way of knowing if anyone is going to be fork to fork with you when you round the bend stictly due to overgrowth.

I HATE to see all the work being done being somewhat wasted due to lack of maintinence, and Im happy to volenteer to do some work, but I have no trimming tools.  If I were to get a gas power weed trimmer could I go do it myself or is that in violation of rules? (I understand this is next to the golf course so there might be additional noise consideration - we want to play nice with the neighbors)

Anyway, something must be done to maintain this course as soon as possible.

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission

XXX

June 25, 2016, 06:30 PM

I mostly agree with the concerns expressed. I took my first ride of the season, at Pleasant View, this afternoon. The weeds are becoming thick; I found it to be manageable, but it won't be for long. I do have safety concerns in several two-way locations. Some of this will improve if the weeds are knocked down significantly; however, some of the new berm hairpin turns have limited visibility of oncoming traffic and weeding will not improve this much. I met one other rider, head on, we both saw each other in advance, stopped and discussed the trails. He expressed the same concerns and stated "I am surprised there has not been a bad accident. I suggest the following rider safety actions in the two-way sections:

•Avoid wearing headphones, as hearing oncoming traffic could prevent an accident
    •When approaching a blindspot, slow down, so you can avoid an accident. I know this is not fun
      and kills flow, but a trip to the ER is not fun either
    •In a blind berm hairpin, if you are on the up incline, it may make sense to take the inside line,
      allowing the down incline, head on, faster rider the higher, faster line.
    •Calling out, as suggested by stopokingme

I am also willing to help with trimming weeds, if I can figure out when/how/rules/etc.
    Please know I am not criticizing the work, which is outstanding, creating a wonderful stretch of trails, especially for those of us who are Blackhawk members enjoy the connection.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 25, 2016, 07:30 PM

You don't need your own tools, there is a string trimmer in the shed; I will get someone to get in touch with you guys to set you up. Once you have access you can work on your own schedule. The board is well aware of the issue and bodies to run the trimmer are what we need now that the trimmer is back from being repaired.

As far as the two-way trail, it is definitely not ideal. I will be lobbying hard for the next phase to include a second line. The city is interested in hosting races, which obviously wouldn't work with the current layout, so I think there is a decent chance that will eventually happen. In the meantime, those are good suggestions. I would argue it is less blind than it seems, especially once some trimming happens, but it definitely takes some of the fun off the ride to keep thinking you need to slow down avoid a head-on collision.

XXX

June 26, 2016, 11:20 AM

I would be happy to volunteer my time to trim this coming week.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

June 26, 2016, 02:57 PM

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help. I can help get people setup with tools and what not. If you want to help please send me a PM with your email address and real name so I can put an email list together. Thanks, Garrett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 27, 2016, 11:20 AM

Thank you for the offers to help.

We'll be doing a work 'n ride or work 'n beverage tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. Expect a trail steward or CORP leader around 6:30 PM.

We have safety glasses and ear plugs, one gas trimmer, scythe, and are working on more.

On two-way trails. There are some signs and the city is ordering more. Two-way trails exist and work in a lot of places including our region. Please be aware and know the run of uphill rider has right of way

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

June 28, 2016, 09:18 AM

I brought my trimmer and plan to head out after work. Is CORP responsible for the prairie or will the city be helping with that section of trail?

~ crushing it

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 28, 2016, 09:41 AM

I brought my trimmer and plan to head out after work. Is CORP responsible for the prairie or will the city be helping with that section of trail?

We are working out what the city might resume doing or be able to do. I think we'll see some mowing yet this year but they've spent a lot of money having a pro get trail farther from the golf course.

With our trimmer repaired (I hope), some new volunteers, and a little mowing from the city I think all should be good.

Jeff is planning to be there with DR mower mid-day or later. I hope to be there as close to 6 PM as possible.

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

June 28, 2016, 10:12 AM

Sounds good.  I will start trimming anything that needs it

~ crushing it

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 29, 2016, 06:56 AM

Big thanks to all who helped yesterday. Things are cut back and ready to ride.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 04, 2016, 08:34 AM

The pump track is overgrown to the point of being more or less unrideable.  This is one of the most visible and accessible sections of trail that we manage, and it is a little embarrassing that we can’t keep ahead of the grass a little better.

As far as the rest of the trail, I trimmed almost to the prairie last weekend, it would be awesome if someone could pick up where I left off and run through the prairie and into the woods for the remainder of the two-way trail.  This is probably two- three hours total of work, if a couple people could put in an hour or so, it would be easy to get done, and trimming will be done for the year.  The prairie might be faster with a mower, but it is thin enough near the trail from the last mowing that a string-trimmer could get through it relatively easily. There is also a leaning buckthorn that is obscuring one of the rock features, so take a handsaw to remove that.

We don’t need to have a meet-up or work session to get these done, someone just needs to show up and do it.  There is gas and string along with the string-trimmer in the shed.