•  

Interested in information about failed trail creation attempts in the area

swannecks
    let er rip

January 27, 2016, 02:33 PM

Hello, im wondering if there is a good forum or a contact person to find out about attempts at creating trails in the area that were squashed or are currently entertaining discussion for the future.

ie. Indian Lake
    arboretum
    picnic point
    gov nelson
    pheasant branch
    starkweather creek
    any private land trails
    etc.

are there stories or possibilities here?
    just a curious newbie. thanks!

XXX

January 28, 2016, 09:47 AM

The Dane County Parks & Open Space Plan mentions looking into possibilities at Brigham Co. Park and the Blue Mounds Natural Resource Area, which would potentially connect Brigham Park and BM State Park. The plan also mentions Menasha River Natural Resources Area and Springfield Hill Natural Resources Area.

There was an older thread that talks about Indian Lake and also Springfield Hill.

http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=1896.0

I have no idea where things are at with any of these areas. Chris James, a planner for the county parks, is mentioned in the thread he might be a good contact.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

January 28, 2016, 10:56 AM

Some mentioned will never happen but there are very interesting opportunities on public and private land that only need people to step up and get to work.

Our general meeting this evening is a good start. Some of it will be discussed.

We realize people are very busy and there are several ways to make progress. Being a paid member is a tremendous help because the land is just the beginning.

Our land mangers, trail pros, ourselves..... We're at a point where we know the good riding costs $2500 - $15,000 per mile once we have the land. There's an added bonus for becoming a paid member right now. Jeff's "groominator" membership challenge will expand the fat bike grooming!

The opportunities for more and amazing riding far exceed the participants making it happen. I hope more know that, contribute and share that fact.

:)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 29, 2016, 09:06 AM

As William said. Some are DOA, some are possible with the right effort, and some are in the pipeline.

To go into detail on each one of these would take a book. If truly interested to know where each of these stand, connect with one of that has been around awhile. Before/after a meeting. After a ride, etc. Spring for a couple of beverages and the stories will flow  ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 21, 2016, 02:12 PM

Sorry, not exactly "new" here, but I never really post (just watch/listen).

There is interest in exploring possibilities for trails and whatnot at Tyrol Basin. The new general manager, Josh Faber, is a mtb enthusiast himself. I've exchanged emails with him and there is definite interest there. They're buttoning up everything from their winter season, so late spring may be a good time to work closer with them to talk, walk, and scope out possible routes.

XXX

March 21, 2016, 04:04 PM

Out of all the possible places for new trails I think a place like Tyrol Basin might have the quickest route to success.  The reason I say that is that on private land you can circumvent the long drawn out political process that is a necessary evil with public lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

March 21, 2016, 07:44 PM

We've had dialog with ski area management as late as fall 2015. Josh indeed has interest but didn't have a budget for building or maintaining trail, and with candor I really appreciated said he did not yet have the vital elements such as people committed to fundraising and caring for any trails. Maybe that will change.

In the meanwhile, we have two properties near by with enough MTB in their master plans to make an epic ride and things already happening to get there.

If it's still on his mind, I'm sure he (Josh the ski area mgr) would really appreciate someone stepping up to help make it happen.

:)

XXX
    rkmears
    Newb Dirt Guy

March 22, 2016, 02:50 PM

The President of the company I work for is on the Tyrol Basin board and has been for some time. He noted that Josh is presenting some ideas at a board meeting this week, or sometime soon, to host events there possibly this year. It might be worth one of the better educated members getting in touch with Josh to provide information about the club, ridership, etc. I've asked our President to provide feedback on any concerns or questions he has. I'd be happy to relay any feedback to CORP Board to ensure potential opportunities aren't missed.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

April 28, 2016, 08:14 AM

This is worth reading for anyone wondering about the ski areas and future development. The amount of subsidy stands out. The Rock in Milwaukee area always comes to mind when people discuss private businesses doing this around here.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4017890-spirit-mountains-financial-outlook-brightens-bit

There's more opportunity in our area than people realize. Stepping up to make things happen is the key. The Cross Plans group and community are moving well and fast because of the good organization and a few people doing great planning. This month's meeting agenda has a city of Fitchburg staff member on deck to discuss more trail. The city of Madison has MTB in the planning process. Look what starts in Middleton next week and resumes at Blackhawk afterward. Dane County has another area planned.

Raising money and trail professionals are the key. Neither seem to eliminate any options for trail work and creativity done by volunteers here and other places in the region.