•  

Tubeless Pressure

Bin
    aka Ben

April 18, 2014, 03:17 PM

Last week I converted my wheels to tubeless using a Stans kit, now that the trails are drying out I'm looking for some guidance on tire pressure.  I know with tubes the guideline is generally as low as you can without pinching, but with no tube to pinch where is the sweet spot?  I'm running 26x2.25 tires on a hardtail.  If no one chimes in before my first ride I'll probably just start with them in the 35-40psi range (basically where they wound up when I first seated them) and slowly let air out until it feels bad somehow then add some more air.  A general guideline on what works around here could save me some trial and error though.   

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 18, 2014, 03:49 PM

I run 27-28 with tubes. I would think 5 less without tubes would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

April 18, 2014, 04:02 PM

I think it depends on the tire. If they aren't "tubeless ready" then the sidewalls probably aren't very thick and you may burp air if you run too low. Higher volume tires will also let you run lower pressure. Since you have 2.25s I probably wouldn't go lower than 25.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 18, 2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the speedy responses.  Maybe I'll use something in the 25-30 range as my starting point and work down from there.

XXX

April 18, 2014, 04:33 PM

I usually start at 25 and adjust from there, and I've never felt the need to go over 30psi with tubeless.

XXX

April 18, 2014, 05:07 PM

QR Im usually 20-25, about 25 at CR where you can open up a bit more - same for Kettles.  Been playing around with less psi up front for more grip in the corners.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

April 19, 2014, 08:46 AM

QR Im usually 20-25...

Wow, as low as 20? Glad I saw this. I'm mounting my first tubeless setup this weekend an would have probably went around 30.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

XXX

April 19, 2014, 09:51 AM

on my 2.3" Hans Dampf's much over 25psi is getting too firm.

I run just below that.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

April 19, 2014, 10:23 AM

I change it depending on location.. If I need the grip or more cushion I'll go below 20 without issues. Places like Blue Mound where punctures are an issue no matter what setup, I'll ride between 35-40 psi. As with anything, it's best to figure out what works best for you!

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 21, 2014, 11:57 AM

It turns out that the flats in the thread to help you remove the core from Stan's valves also makes my presta gauge not seal well so I'm left with my not very precise gauge on my pump (I could screw on a schrader adapter and use a different gauge I suppose but I was to eager to ride). I pumped things to around 30 psi and did a few laps of QR.  It seemed good.  I rode on narrower, less knobby tires all last year so that combined with slightly lower pressure seemed to make a huge difference in grip.  I never felt the rims hit so i can probably go a bit lower but also didn't go down the 3 sisters trail which was a guaranteed pinch flat for me every time last year (evidently I don't land jumps/drops too smoothly).  I'll hit that trail a few times at 30 before deciding if I want to go lower. 

XXX

April 21, 2014, 12:54 PM

It turns out that the flats in the thread to help you remove the core from Stan's valves also makes my presta gauge not seal well so I'm left with my not very precise gauge on my pump (I could screw on a schrader adapter and use a different gauge I suppose but I was to eager to ride). 

Interesting....I was having trouble with the presta opening on my pump. I was eager as well so after two attempts I just grabbed the adapter and used the schrader opening (with no problem). I assumed it was my pump.   

XXX

April 21, 2014, 12:56 PM

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Price-Point/Price-Point-Digital-Air-Pressure-Gauge.axd

Those are great pressure gauges for not a lot of money, it's especially handy for the single digit pressures on fat bikes.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 21, 2014, 02:51 PM

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/1029.html is the gauge I have.  I just noticed this on their product page "Note: Will not work on Presta valves with removable valve cores" so I guess that proves that I wasn't just doing it wrong.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 21, 2014, 11:23 PM

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Price-Point/Price-Point-Digital-Air-Pressure-Gauge.axd

Those are great pressure gauges for not a lot of money, it's especially handy for the single digit pressures on fat bikes.
    I have had an SKS Airchecker for years now. It works great on all types of presta and Schrader valves. http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Airchecker-Digital-Schrader-Pressure/dp/B008F9GAH0
    But for that price I think I just found my new travel gauge.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 22, 2014, 12:27 AM

20-23ish....rigid.