•  

Trying to get fat, fatbikes that also fit 29+?

August 18, 2014, 01:04 PM

I am hoping to get fat this winter. I would really love to be able to also run 29+ for the non-snowy times of the year on the same frame. I have ruled out the Pugsley. I know that the Salsa Beargrease or Mukluk as well as the 907 bikes can run both fat 26 or 29+. I would love to stay away from the "big S" but I would expect the Fatboy may fit a 29+. Any other models or suggestions for how to go about this? Has anyone else ventured into this area?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

August 18, 2014, 01:21 PM

Tons of information and pretty much all you would ever want to know at www.fat-bike.com

The resources section is where you want to start.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 18, 2014, 01:56 PM

I'm curious, why'd you rule out the Pugsley? I love mine with the full fats and the 29+ wheels (as do others that I know).

If you've got money to burn, the Borealis Echo sounds pretty sweet, Twenty Nine Inches.com recently reviewed it with 29+ wheels.

Apparently the 29+ tire clearance on Mukluks can be a bit tight without custom dropouts.

XXX

August 19, 2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions!

I have been trolling fat-bike.com for awhile now, but haven't seen too much coverage of this question beyond what's been mentioned here. Maybe the Pugs is worth reconsidering. I have an older KM that I love, but am not crazy about the older style Surly dropout setup, as well as the rear offset of the Pugsley. Borealis would be great, but money is always a factor. This would be my first fat-bike.

Anyone know if the Specialized Fatboy can run 29+?

XXX

August 20, 2014, 10:35 AM

I would say those are reasonable concerns about the Pugs. Trail side removal of the rear tire when running fat can be a pain due to the combination of the offset and track-style drop out (I also have 100mm rims which makes things worse), however, being able to use regular ol' 135mm-spaced hubs is pretty awesome.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

August 20, 2014, 01:55 PM

I'm curious, why'd you rule out the Pugsley? I love mine with the full fats and the 29+ wheels (as do others that I know).

If you've got money to burn, the Borealis Echo sounds pretty sweet, Twenty Nine Inches.com recently reviewed it with 29+ wheels.

Apparently the 29+ tire clearance on Mukluks can be a bit tight without custom dropouts.
    I was not aware you could run 29+ with the offset of the pugs. What width 29er rims do you need to run to make the offset work? I would assume that the increased offset of the Moonlander would exceed what you want for offset on 29+?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 20, 2014, 02:31 PM

I was not aware you could run 29+ with the offset of the pugs. What width 29er rims do you need to run to make the offset work? I would assume that the increased offset of the Moonlander would exceed what you want for offset on 29+?

I'm running Surly Rabbit Holes, which are 50mm wide, and they have dual rows of spoke holes so that helps with the angle of the spokes since you can use the row that offsets the offset. I don't know if strength would suffer too much with the extra offset of the Moonlander or not.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:31 PM by Nick T »

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

August 20, 2014, 09:06 PM

From what I've read, the Rabbit Hole builds a really poor wheel with the offset that the Moonie requires.