•  

I like V-brakes

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

April 19, 2015, 05:14 PM

Against my better judgement, I now own a bike with disc brakes.  And they already don't work.  Lightly used bike.  Avid Juicy 3 (which I have already gathered from internet searching are not the pinnacle of brake design).  One of the pistons in the rear brake was seized, which I have already fixed, as far as I can tell (working perfectly on the stand).  The front had the same problem (pads not retracting enough to not rub), but, oddly, as I was looking at them, from one squeeze of the lever to another, they went from working but rubbing to having the pistons barely move.

The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that the fluid is low.  I can't figure out why that would change so quickly, but also can't think of anything else.  So my question is, does anyone have an Avid bleed kit I can borrow to test my theory?  Or a different explanation for the problem?  I'd rather not invest alot of money in these, as it seems somewhat likely I will end up buying new brakes in the not too distant future.

Thanks.

XXX
    Brett.Oesterle

April 19, 2015, 05:38 PM

Sounds similar in some ways to a problem that I had with one of my avids.

This helped me to fix the problem that I was having.

XXX

April 19, 2015, 07:13 PM

I'm certainly no expert on hydraulic disc brakes, but in my opinion, mechanical disc brakes with compressionless housing (cheap right now on nashbar) seem to offer a good compromise between simplicity/easy of maintenance and performance.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

April 19, 2015, 08:26 PM

The front had the same problem (pads not retracting enough to not rub), but, oddly, as I was looking at them, from one squeeze of the lever to another, they went from working but rubbing to having the pistons barely move.

Hi Jon,

Air in the brake could cause the symptoms you describe.

Walt

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 19, 2015, 08:27 PM

My experience with Avid mechanical (cable) is much better than with their hydraulics, or at least Juicy series.

My Shimanos don't use DOT fluid, but I don't think I'd pay more for them if Hayes are available. Old Hayes worked well for me, and same for their later models.

XXX

April 19, 2015, 10:14 PM

i have an avid bleed kit, syringes and bleed blocks. you are welcome to use them, but you will need fluid. i am in verona.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 19, 2015, 11:13 PM

Sounds like you have it covered Jon. I have the bleed kit as well if you would need it for some reason. But I am a bit farther away as you know....

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 20, 2015, 06:40 PM

Jon, I have the tools you need. Just need to get fluid. I have Avids and can help you out.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

April 20, 2015, 09:46 PM

Nick, I think you're the closest.  I'll be in touch.