•  

Open it up!!!

April 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

Well, the rain forecasted for the weekend might mess things up but I can't believe this place isn't ready to roll.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

April 13, 2012, 08:47 PM

I haven't been out to Blue Mound in a couple of weeks, hope to have a quick look at the trail head on Saturday.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 15, 2012, 02:56 PM

There's still some muck in the beginner section, but it's getting close to good enough to ride.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 24, 2012, 06:53 PM

I walked through Holy Schist this afternoon and there is standing water.

Kevin Swenson asked my opinion and it is that the Blue Mound bike trails won't be ready to ride until mid May.

Walt

XXX

April 24, 2012, 10:00 PM

Overload is looking good, but it's still wet elsewhere.  I was out there running on Sunday.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 26, 2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the report M^2.

I think we're headed toward an average opening date for Blue Mound. Whether fact or fantasy, it seems like the mound doesn't dry enough for riding until after the trees leaf out. It seems possible that trees could pull enough water out of the ground to make a difference, but who really knows?

At any rate, I've finally had time to hike most of the trails and they are currently very wet in the usual places. Most of the water problems can be improved, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort. It's not going to happen this year or next.

If the DNR approves the second reroute in Holy Schist, that will make a huge difference. I think we can deal with the mud in the beginner section by digging out the tread and filling it with gravel. I've found a way to route around the wet area at the beginning of Holy Schist, but this repair is several years away at best.

I know this stuff is not very exciting, but fixing the problem areas one-by-one is the only way that Blue Mound will get an early opening to the riding season.

It would be nice to see a few of the people who are worried about when the park will open show up for the work days. I'm pleased to see that CORP has expanded beyond only being about trail building, but since we advertise ourselves as being the premier regional organization for building and maintaining trails, I would think CORP members would bring a little more to the table for work day turn out.

Walt