•  

The Creek

September 13, 2016, 08:21 AM

The bottom of Blackhawk by the Creek was so wet that I came to a full stop with both front and rear wheels literally up to the hub in mud.  I unclipped, and got off my bike - it remained standing upright in the mud.  Damndest thing.  No more of the creek for me - gunna climb the big hill and avoid that area for the rest of the season.  I have 3" front and 2.1" back - I think it would be impassable for a standard mountain biker of any skill level.  Fat bikes may be able to float it.  I dont think it can be damaged worse than it is at this point.  Hopefully it firms back up next season.

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 13, 2016, 08:48 AM

I'm smiling. My conditions post yesterday suggested the hill 6 climb. Jon A, sometimes Walter and I seem to be in the minority for taking that route. That few minutes of misery has really helped improve my bike engine this year.

I'm smiling because my wife hates hill 6, hates when people ride wet curated single track but she's always blasting through the creek trail. All that and the new trail has two of our bikes like double shift fleet rigs. I've never had chains, tires and brake pads wear so fast.

Fatties work well there. I'll take fattie with a folding saw or try to strap a rogue hoe on a pack.

Here's the solution for that trail complex and Blue Mound. Who recognizes the rider and knows the Blackhawk and Pleasant View connection?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 13, 2016, 01:46 PM

Here's the solution for that trail complex and Blue Mound. Who recognizes the rider and knows the Blackhawk and Pleasant View connection?
    Chad!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

September 13, 2016, 02:07 PM

I think a new climb option is on the horizon from our famed trail builder.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 13, 2016, 03:44 PM

Another cool option would be some ladder bridges and other features that would go over or bypass the wet areas. The creek is a cool area. It may keep things more accessible to the beginner riders. But a climb built right can do that as well.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 13, 2016, 04:59 PM

Another cool option would be some ladder bridges and other features that would go over or bypass the wet areas. The creek is a cool area. It may keep things more accessible to the beginner riders. But a climb built right can do that as well.

That's a heavily used area in winter and has had XC snowmaking extended to it. It's further complicated by it being headwaters of the Black Earth Creek trout stream. At some point expect elevated trail.

XXX

September 14, 2016, 03:09 PM

Oh, I know - there is a single reason I dont climb hill 6 - more accuratly a singlespeed reason :)  So I've been blasting thru on my 3" / 2.1" singlespeed as the trail there is a loss anyway for the season.  Its really the only place I ever ride that I ignore the leave no track rule - but it feels exempt there due to the rediculousness of it.  Anyway, Im giving up and walking up the hill from now on.  I suppose I could get some more gears...

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission