•  

Blackhawk Trail Posse 2016

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 19, 2016, 10:09 PM

In an effort to get more organized and proactive about maintenance, we are shamelessly copying CamRock and starting a Trail Posse for Blackhawk.  Currently the only reward is the satisfaction of a job well done, well-trimmed trails to ride, and the undying admiration of the entire mountain biking community.  Could there be more in the works?  Maybe, but do you really need more than that?

Here is how it works: I set up a system to basically "adopt" a manageable section of trail and call it your own. This is yours to manage whenever and however you see fit. In other words, if you see it needs to be mowed, go out and give it a mow. If you are going to be out of town or super busy for the next month? No issues. Just let me know and we will find someone to help out. If things have slipped and it needs some work, I might send you a gentle reminder. But this is just a better way to divide the duties, not hand out any shaming. Folks here want to help. And once you learn "your" trail section you will have a better idea of the time of year, the effort, and the tools needed. I don't expect anyone, mostly me, to be perfect. We are here to ride bikes and have fun after all!

I will get you set up with access to any tools you need. You can take care of things as your schedule allows. No waiting for "scheduled maintenance days" etc. If you can squeeze in an hour before, or after, a ride? Perfect! I have divided up the trails into sections that should be able to be maintained in about an hour per month. Obviously the needed maintenance varies throughout the year depending on terrain and weather. Some months it might take more, some it may take none. I try to lay that out in the trail descriptions. This involves basic maintenance a trail needs like removing sticks, lopping branches, mowing grass. Larger issues like erosion needing work days will still be tackled by trail crews.

So here is generally how it divides up. This is always a work in progress, so just post up if you want to help. I have listed in red the sections that I know are taken for the year already. I will post up and update things as I get more information or others post up:

Trail Sections                                                        General Idea on Maintenance Needs
    Creek Trail - Brush and weed trimming. Leaf blowing. Open
    35-Up, East/West Connector - Mainly branch trimming down low, mowing up high.  Blowing leaves in fall. Open
    Old school trails west of gully - Weed Whacker trimming and lopping. Blow leaves. Open.
    Pines and Roller Coaster- Weed whacker trimming and lopping. Blow leaves. Open
    Old school trails east of gully- Weed whacker trimming and lopping. Blow leaves. Open
    Howlin' Wolff- Branch trimming and lopping, some mowing at the bottom.  Open

You and a buddy or two want to share the duties? Fantastic! Anything and everything that you think you can do will be a help. You want to adopt more than one of the above sections? Wonderful. You have an inkling to give even more and line up your own crew for large jobs on "your" trails, like you see an issue with erosion? Great! Then I can give you the advice or supervision if you need it. Otherwise just let me know and and we will come up with a plan together.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

June 19, 2016, 11:29 PM

Well written Jon ;-)
    Best of luck on this. I hope it works for you as well as it has for me. It is a bit to manage, and a little different focus. You are managing troops vs. being as much hands-on. But once it gets running it is a really good system to keep the trails in shape.
    I am sure you will have a lot of great folks wanting to see the Blackhawk Trails kept in prime shape for shredding!

~ Chuck Hutchens