•  

Blue Mounds is still in great condition

g
    And last but not least.......

February 23, 2015, 10:03 AM

Road there out there on Sunday and the trail is in fantastic condition.  Also there is just much more overall snow out there than there is in Madison so it isn't icy.  Why that parking lot doesn't have more fat bikers in it is baffling.   :o

My hats off to those guys that get out there and snow shoe it in right after it snows (think it is the guy in the red truck I saw out there the last two weekends and his buddy).  They are turning Bluemounds into a destination caliber winter snowbike trail.

XXX

February 25, 2015, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the shout out on the trail packing, we are glad to see so many out on the trails, but it would be great to see more. Brian, Dirk, Peter and I have been packing it now for the last four years and the trail is currently in top condition. I was out late yesterday the traction is great, the complete mound loop is fast and fun. If you have time do a couple of loops, reverse is a nice change up.
    The weather looks good for the near future, but this will not last. Once the temperatures rise and the snow is soft we will get hikers and runners on the trail making it tough to ride.
    Take advantage of it, plan your weekend out. We are approaching the the wet season and will soon be waiting for it to dry out to get out in the woods.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 08:58 AM

the trails were great last sunday with the sun out. was going to take another lap or two this afternoon. anyone know if overlord has tracks down on it?

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 28, 2015, 03:30 PM

There were LOTS of fat bikers at the mound today. It's starting to attract people from outside the area. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. The trails looked to be in great condition after the light dusting Wed night. At the current rate the fat bikers might rival the skiers in a few years.

XXX

February 28, 2015, 05:41 PM

There were LOTS of fat bikers at the mound today. It's starting to attract people from outside the area. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. The trails looked to be in great condition after the light dusting Wed night. At the current rate the fat bikers might rival the skiers in a few years.
    when the snow is crap as it has been the entire season, yes fat bikes will flourish, when the snow is good at BM......you can get upwards of 100-200 skiers on the weekend, easy. 

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 28, 2015, 06:27 PM

when the snow is crap as it has been the entire season, yes fat bikes will flourish, when the snow is good at BM......you can get upwards of 100-200 skiers on the weekend, easy.

I wasn't knocking the skiing at Blue Mounds. I've been skiing there twice a week all February and it's been excellent. It was skiable before that even, just not enough to set tracks.

The fat bikes are flourishing at Blue Mounds because, like with anything that flourishes, there are a dedicated few who have taken it upon themselves to keeping the trails groomed, and have done a great job of it.  Let's not diminish their hard work. On top of that, the sport is growing... more people are buying fat bikes.