•  

Is there a trail map for the XC trails at MBP?

madnordski
    Biking on smile power

June 27, 2014, 07:59 AM

Wow  :) 8)!  Middleton Bike Park, who knew  ;).  Well, you all of course.  I ventured there for the first time and on the way back discovered a nice city bike path connects the place with quieter roads.  Reading this list this morning I see there was plenty discussion on the topic of the South Fork Trail.  This trail saves biking on Pleasant View Road which was a bit nightmarish.

Riding at the MBP was a bit surreal.  One I was alone the whole time which seemed doubly odd after I saw a car with a mountain bike drive slowly past the pump track apparently looking for a place to park.  They might have been looking for the XC trail head which is somewhat hidden either behind the pump track or just to the right.  The later trail head was block by a parked car which very nearly blocked the entire entrance.

There are no XC trail markings -- which for a place so young was not surprising.  I followed tire impressions over grass trails only to be dumped out onto a fairway.  Rather than explore the fairway along the treeline, I turned around at that point not knowing if there was more trail or not.  Having skied there many times these grass trails were familiar but I didn't know if the connector to Blackhawk was ride-worthy or not.  Given the recent storms I decided against exploring.  I ended up riding the trails in both directions which of course adds some variety but was still unclear which was the intended direction.  I ended up liking clockwise for what seemed to be the largest of the dirt XC loops in the trees.

It would be really nice to have a map.  Strava has a map of my play time yesterday which you could find under the CORP club.  It's called Westward Explorations.

It's a fun place and with a connection to BlackHawk could make for good workout for XC on relatively easy trails.  The pump track is fun but the 29er is not ideal for this.  On the other hand, it's good practice -- letting the saddle popup between your legs.  The skills area was also fun but I passed on the balance beam.  Otherwise, a good confidence builder.  Excellent work out there.  It would be really nice to have a map of some sort for the XC trails (on this forum or on the kiosk).

Recommend:
    1. Updating the forum page for MBP with a map of the XC trails
    2. Adding a map of the South Fork trail connection to Pleasant View Golf Course
    3. Adding a map insert showing where the trail heads are for the XC tail
    4. Post these materials on the forum page for this trail and on the kiosk

(I did not discover the trail head to the right of the pump track until near the end of my ride -- because of the parked cars)

Not knowing the trails, I'd hesitate to create #1 but I would be very willing to tackle #2 and #3 provided the owners agree and would add these maps to the MBP page.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 27, 2014, 08:42 AM

Wow  :) 8)!  Middleton Bike Park, who knew  ;).  Well, you all of course.  I ventured there for the first time and on the way back discovered a nice city bike path connects the place with quieter roads.  Reading this list this morning I see there was plenty discussion on the topic of the South Fork Trail.  This trail saves biking on Pleasant View Road which was a bit nightmarish.

Riding at the MBP was a bit surreal.  One I was alone the whole time which seemed doubly odd after I saw a car with a mountain bike drive slowly past the pump track apparently looking for a place to park.  They might have been looking for the XC trail head which is somewhat hidden either behind the pump track or just to the right.  The later trail head was block by a parked car which very nearly blocked the entire entrance.

There are no XC trail markings -- which for a place so young was not surprising.  I followed tire impressions over grass trails only to be dumped out onto a fairway.  Rather than explore the fairway along the treeline, I turned around at that point not knowing if there was more trail or not.  Having skied there many times these grass trails were familiar but I didn't know if the connector to Blackhawk was ride-worthy or not.  Given the recent storms I decided against exploring.  I ended up riding the trails in both directions which of course adds some variety but was still unclear which was the intended direction.  I ended up liking clockwise for what seemed to be the largest of the dirt XC loops in the trees.

It would be really nice to have a map.  Strava has a map of my play time yesterday which you could find under the CORP club.  It's called Westward Explorations.

It's a fun place and with a connection to BlackHawk could make for good workout for XC on relatively easy trails.  The pump track is fun but the 29er is not ideal for this.  On the other hand, it's good practice -- letting the saddle popup between your legs.  The skills area was also fun but I passed on the balance beam.  Otherwise, a good confidence builder.  Excellent work out there.  It would be really nice to have a map of some sort for the XC trails (on this forum or on the kiosk).

Recommend:
    1. Updating the forum page for MBP with a map of the XC trails
    2. Adding a map of the South Fork trail connection to Pleasant View Golf Course
    3. Adding a map insert showing where the trail heads are for the XC tail
    4. Post these materials on the forum page for this trail and on the kiosk

(I did not discover the trail head to the right of the pump track until near the end of my ride -- because of the parked cars)

Not knowing the trails, I'd hesitate to create #1 but I would be very willing to tackle #2 and #3 provided the owners agree and would add these maps to the MBP page.

Thanks for the input. I'm no longer the trail steward but in a position where I know what's up at the trail sites. Aaron is doing an awesome job and I'm sure he'll appreciate this and any help.

A lot is going on in terms of planning and work in the general area but just like much of our area there are not enough people stepping up to help. I don't get to my second hand when I count the people who trim the weeds and fallen trees at all of our trails but quickly run out of hands and fingers if I count all of the area riding spots, miles and features. Most of those people are the same ones who do the planning, management, work with land managers, fund raising, and all sorts of stuff. Basically, much progress stops at all of our trail locations when the stalwarts are have to spend all their time with stuff like that. Your offer to help with anything here will be a nice bit of relief for that problem.

On mapping, if you can help the city staff the money already budgeted to do this will get spent and you'll have support to get it done very well.

A reputable top tier trail professional has helped us flag the amazing terrain on the property, and there's budget for machine work to start the corridor and cut steep areas with mini excavator. It so happens that the mapping skills you mention are needed there right now. That would be some adjustments of GPS waypoints for final approval. We decided against trying keep a denuded trail tread while all this is being worked out. Trail steward Aaron, Chad from Trek and the CORP board would love any help in moving it all along because the end result will be an area sized like Quarry Ridge available car free to 10s of thousands of residents in the west metro area.

I have a 29 hard tail as well as little park/jump type bike and I get it around the pump track better than I thought it would work when my seat is dropped. I may have enthusiasm for the pump track beyond many and will be glad to meet anyone interested in knowing how to build it and get the water truck or materials delivered.

On this whole help thing.... The CORP board meeting Monday made some changes that will be in the bylaws as soon as our volunteer has time to post. We've approved two committees to empower people and get more done. Two superb individuals have stepped up to help. One for fat bike leadership and one for city of Madison who has high level building skills. That leaves 4 seats open to help us raise money, make fun times happen, and increase the percentage of riders who help.

Looking at work logs for our trail areas and events we have around 1% of the currently 160 paid members doing more than 90% of the work for an area that is used by thousands. We have trail opportunities and budget in queue because that help is needed. Anyone willing to give a few hours per year will be part of a revolution.

The connection to Blackhawk crosses private property so that needs to be respected and posting GPS tracks is showing the world your trespass. The land owner does allow some activities for Blackhawk members, and I see some of his personal friends ride there. I hope riders respect that and join the Blackhawk trail committee efforts for any interest in that.

The naturalist who assessed use for the new Pleasant View Ridge neighborhood to the north suggested mountain biking for the conservancy and park land that will be added. That, Blackhawk and Middleton's expansion would make one of the largest riding areas around here and the Pleasant View ridges and gullies are some of the most amazing terrain.

I hope that synopsis helps and the biking community would love the mapping help you've offered. Please send a message to trail steward Aaron or myself and we'll help you make progress.

Thanks.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 29, 2014, 11:12 PM

I believe he said he did not ride the connector, so no trespassing on his GPS.

If, when you hit the fairway, you take a right, you go about 50 yds and turn back into the woods, then there is a bit more two-track before steep downhill that puts you right at the gate to the connector, or lets you circle back the other way.  On league nights, you can often catch the beverage cart right there.

As far as the connector, the current MOU only allows use in the winter.  The landowner seems to think that mountain bikers are not as trustworthy as skiers as far as staying on the trail, but is loosening-up.  This year he agreed to let people ride it on the BH open house.  The actual trail is pretty flat and straight two-track, so nothing worth riding for it's own sake.  It is only valuable as a connector between the two public areas.

Actual tread on the grassy ski trails would be a huge improvement; it seems like, based on the tire tracks I see, that there are enough people riding there that we could keep the grass at bay, but without tread, everyone takes there own line.  And labor is at a premium, so I don't know when that might happen.

Anyway, glad to hear you like it.

Jon