•  

Looking for instructor for skills sessions

June 16, 2019, 10:13 AM

Originally posted a similar thread on mtbr, but was recommended to post here as well.  I'm newish to the world of MTB, and I don't have a lot of skills.  Years spent as a diesel-type road racer does that, and the whole bike-body separation and the weight shifting are somewhat foreign to me.

Would like to work with someone through the late summer/early fall on things, including hops (slow and fast speed), sharp turns, etc.  I know that there are upcoming skill sessions in September, but my reservation is that there may be quite a bit to process over just two days.  I think something like three sessions over 2 month would probably make most sense for me.

Recommendations for local instructors welcomed.

Many thanks in advance!

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 23, 2019, 02:58 PM

Welcome.

Maybe everyone's too busy to reply???

The new construction at Blackhawk Ski Club is great and made for learning. The Tuesday & Thursday rides that go from the brewery to there and back are usually in two groups with beginners gaining skills. On Thursdays there's a just as fun and friendly group ride at CamRock trails.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 23, 2019, 03:59 PM

To my knowledge, there is no one doing any kind of formal training or coaching for adults locally, though I've heard a couple people talk about starting something, and there seems to be a market for it at some level.  A business opportunity for someone...  In the meantime,  as William said, the group rides can be a good source of tips and technique; friendly, but very informal.  And don't be afraid to ask; it isn't always clear when someone is interested in constructive criticism, so make sure others know it is welcome.

XXX

June 24, 2019, 02:13 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions.  Definitely planning on doing some group rides first.

I lived in NJ last summer and moved to Philly last fall.  Actually took some lessons while I was in NJ and able to manage to descend down switchbacks without getting off of my bike (which I couldn't do when I started).  Philly was a different animal though, as there's way too much rocky stuff for my liking, and I haven't ended up doing much this past year, due to the more challenging terrain and work.

I signed up for the BikeNinja session when they come into town, and I'm hoping to be less rusty by then.  The hope would be that I can build on what I learn with the BikeNinja people in the weeks that follow.