•  

Trail etiquette around other riders

July 14, 2020, 02:27 PM

I recently introduced my girlfriend to mountain biking, and she's loved it but for one thing. Riders (usually experienced riders) who approach at high speeds, follow very close behind, and pass without asking or even calling out a warning have been a major problem for her, and in a couple instances causing her to go into the bushes. I realize those behaviors are pretty normal when you're riding with other experienced bikers but I don't think most people realize how it affects people who are new to the sport. I've been riding behind her to physically block people from getting too close but that can only do so much, especially on 2-way trails. My question is, what can we do as individuals or as a community to help new people be as comfortable as possible on the trails, and not let experienced riders be seen as a threat by new riders, so we can all enjoy this sport?

XXX

July 14, 2020, 06:30 PM

I ride with my kids of 12 and 14. I’ve explained to them that when they hear a rider approaching from the rear that they should pick a spot on the trail to pull over to either side far enough for the rider who is catching them up to ride past. The key is in the timing, pull over early enough that the catcher is not right on your wheel before you decide to yield. And when across a hill remember to stop and put your foot down on the uphill side.

I recently introduced my girlfriend to mountain biking, and she's loved it but for one thing. Riders (usually experienced riders) who approach at high speeds, follow very close behind, and pass without asking or even calling out a warning have been a major problem for her, and in a couple instances causing her to go into the bushes. I realize those behaviors are pretty normal when you're riding with other experienced bikers but I don't think most people realize how it affects people who are new to the sport. I've been riding behind her to physically block people from getting too close but that can only do so much, especially on 2-way trails. My question is, what can we do as individuals or as a community to help new people be as comfortable as possible on the trails, and not let experienced riders be seen as a threat by new riders, so we can all enjoy this sport?

XXX

July 15, 2020, 09:50 AM

First off, passing people and sending them into the bushes isn't normal behavior. If this has happened multiple times then it's possible that there's something you can do to help.

Communication is key when passing. Ideally the faster rider should make their presence known (saying something like "rider back" or ringing a bell) well in advance, and the slower rider  will move over at the first opportunity or  vocalize their intent to pull over when it's safe. Just talking to each other will do a lot of diffuse the situation. Some riders are going to get real antsy to pass, especially when people miss the first or second spot to pull over.

If you're "blocking" people from passing then your girlfriend then you may be setting up a situation where a people are more likely to attempt an unsafe pass. If you're riding in back, you can help by keeping an eye out for riders coming up behind and pointing out the best spot to quickly pull over before the faster rider reaches your group.

Even on singletrack, there's usually enough room to squeeze by, so don't feel like you need to wait for an big opening to stop. Any straight-away will work.

XXX

July 15, 2020, 10:18 AM

Yes, "tailgating" is not nice and certainly passing in a way that ditches someone is also not appropriate. I am also new to mtb from road biking but have not experienced this problem. As others have also suggested, the best solution is likely to get a little more proactive. My viewpoint when on the trail is that a faster rider behind me shouldn't need to ask to pass me; if I hear them approaching I get over at the first safe spot, which on many of the beginner trails is basically anywhere. If I can't, I shout back and let them know that I am aware of them and will get over when I can. Mistakes happen of course, like when riding at speed through a rock garden you may well not hear the cassette of the rider behind you approaching.  Most of the time this isn't a problem; you'll hear their cassette spinning, changing gears, etc. It is possible that as a totally new rider like your girlfriend that there may just be "too much happening" to stay on top of the sounds behind you when whats in front of you is obviously the more pressing issue for your health! That being said, you riding behind and providing comms between the approaching rider and your partner is probably a decent way to go. Just shout up to her that she needs to get over when able.