•  

human powered fat bike grooming?

February 02, 2015, 01:49 PM

I've heard there are plans for mechanical grooming at camrock, but there may be delays. Otherwise, it seems that snowshoeing is the common grooming method? I'm curious if folk, more experienced than I, see value in 'assisted' snowshoe grooming, maybe in the tighter, hillier singletrack that a powered mechanical groomer might not reach, or that otherwise wouldn't get groomed?  Such as dragging a sled or car tires, or a purpose-built fat bike groomer?
    I'd be happy to drag something when I'm hiking around camrock or elsewhere, if people think it worthwhile.
    I've noticed things like:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:55 PM by markc »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 03, 2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the post.
    Snowshoeing is the most common non-mechanical method used. it is the easiest. It works really well if you can get a group of folks out. Other areas have held "stomping parties" to stomp the trails.
    Anything you can pull behind will definitely help. But it also increases the effort exponentially. Tires are most-often used to smooth a trail and eliminate ruts. The trail groomer linked does not work I have heard from a few sources who tried it.
    Some folks have built a simple rectangular wood frame box to pull behind. A bottom of expanded metal is a bonus and allows the addition of weights. Essentially you are trying tyo eliminate the air from the snow. Then it re-freezes and forms a hard surface.
    CR is a really big trail to try and do human powered. I know as I have spent years doing it. A couple mile loop is easy. Upping that to 8-9 miles gets to be daunting. Especially if busting new trail. A goup of folks shoeing, and breaking the trail into sections for about three groups, would work best.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 03, 2015, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, just the sort of seasoned vet's feedback I was hoping for.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 03, 2015, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, just the sort of seasoned vet's feedback I was hoping for.
    I've become seasoned.........
    Some might say over-done ::)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 04, 2015, 07:36 AM

I snowshoe often and would be willing to help out grooming the trails whenever needed as I live ~10 mins away.  Is there any technique or is it as simple as walking the trails?  Would it only be needed after a snowfall or would snowshoeing damage the trails when already compacted? 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 04, 2015, 08:26 AM

I snowshoe often and would be willing to help out grooming the trails whenever needed as I live ~10 mins away.  Is there any technique or is it as simple as walking the trails?  Would it only be needed after a snowfall or would snowshoeing damage the trails when already compacted?
    Any and all help getting the trails packed is appreciated. It really is as simple as walking the trails.
    Snowshoes will not damage the trail at any time, even if they are already packed.
    It really is as simple as getting the air out of the snow. Once it is compacted and the air is removed, it is not hard right away. But after it goes through an evening of cold it hardens up to form a great surface.
    The same as with XC ski grooming. If you go on a trail right after grooming it is like being on soft sand. The same trail a day later is a very firm surface. Not like pavement, but firm enought to walk leaving only maybe a 1" imprint.....not that you should be walking on XC trails :P

~ Chuck Hutchens