•  

Looking for tires

February 27, 2015, 10:47 AM

The hoofers outing club is looking at buying a couple of fatbikes.  The budget is ~$650/bike, so the plan is to get a couple Boris X5s and then upgrade the tires.  [/size]on one floaters[/color][/size] or[/color][/size] fat b nimble[/color] tires are a good deal right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has a used fat b nimble clone or even a mission they'd be willing to part with for cheap especially since the 120 tpi floater is back in stock.  Used bikes for $650 or less would be great too, but I'm guessing that's too much to hope for.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 11:37 AM

Vee Missions are horrible. They should get Mongoose Vinson's and put Surly Nate tires on them.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 11:50 AM

would totally do that if the Vinson was in stock anywhere.  I agree the missions are pretty terrible, but I still managed to have a blast on them for my first winter on a fat bike.  I just got a set of floaters to replace my nates for summer riding, and after testing them out on snow, I'd say they aren't much worse than nates in terms of traction.  The other issue with the vinson is that it will fit a lot of riders, but not all.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 01:20 PM

what timeframe are you looking at? Vinsons are stuck in port right now.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reply skota.  Do you have any theories as to when the vinson might be available again and at what price?

If there is a good chance it will come back within a couple months in the $450-500 range, we might hold off and get a couple vinsons along with an extra large/small X5.  I also heard a rumor that they might start coming with better tires which would also make this more appealing.  Otherwise we'll probably just get all X5s in the next week or so.

XXX

February 27, 2015, 03:00 PM

I have a set of Chaoyang tires in almost new condition.  Still on the bike as I was not planing to upgrade until next winter.  I am not sure as to the TPI but since they are the same tires as the Panaracer FBN which I think only come in 60 and 120, they are likely the 60.  Not sure, but the 60 TPI CY and FBN seem to go for anywhere between 50-80 bucks.  (I thought that they might be 27 TPI but I can't find evidence of 27 existing.)  I would let the pair go for 75.  (You saw them on my Norco.)

Chris

Edit:  What deals are you finding on the FBN (links?)  I don't want to be asking too much, just can give stuff away.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:09 PM by knl2stl »

XXX

February 27, 2015, 03:28 PM

I have a set of Chaoyang tires in almost new condition.  Still on the bike as I was not planing to upgrade until next winter.  I am not sure as to the TPI but since they are the same tires as the Panaracer FBN which I think only come in 60 and 120, they are likely the 60.  Not sure, but the 60 TPI CY and FBN seem to go for anywhere between 50-80 bucks.  (I thought that they might be 27 TPI but I can't find evidence of 27 existing.)  I would let the pair go for 75.  (You saw them on my Norco.)

Chris

Edit:  What deals are you finding on the FBN (links?)  I don't want to be asking too much, just can give stuff away.

I totally understand.  Also, the links kind of got messed up in my original post, so here they are again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PAK-Panaracer-Fat-B-Nimble-26-x-4-0-Wire-Bead-Fat-Bike-Fast-Tire-Pair-fit-Surly-/231440256626
    http://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/TYOO26FAT/on-one-floater-fat-tyre

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:31 PM by mccarthy »

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 27, 2015, 08:11 PM

I got my 120tpi FatBNimble for like $75 on amazon.

XXX

March 29, 2015, 01:00 PM

I've got tons of options in stock at Trail This starting at $60 all the way to $150 Wire bead Fat B Nimble /Chao Yangs are super light and cheap. Stop by and take a look.

Trail This Bike Shop
    4518 Verona Road
    Madison, Wi 53711