•  

2020 Blackhawk summer upkeep

June 04, 2020, 07:52 PM

Post here with problems you see, or solutions you have made happen so others know what has been taken care of.

Today, mowed the top of Ziggy.

There is a tree down on Island and that trail really needs a trim to clear many shrubby branches.
    Things that are needed:
    Trim Twist and Shout
    Trim Howling Wolf
    Trim connector between E and W lots
    Mow Hill 5 and No Brakes
    Mow connector over to PV

XXX

June 05, 2020, 10:54 PM

Wednesday morning I did some trimming on Twist, Pines and Roller Coaster. This morning I trimmed EastWest Connector  and Howling Wolf.  My focus was on what was waste high and up.  After riding them this afternoon it seems I missed some things.   Greg

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Consider the penalty for failure, dude

June 06, 2020, 07:04 AM

Work done (by known and unknown volunteers in May and early June):
    •   Re-routed switchbacks on the top of Ziggy (old line was eroding)
    •   Added new rollers next to 60-meter ski jump (Landowski will improve)
    •   Installed new bridge behind biathlon range
    •   Cleared 2 trees on the E-W Connector
    •   Repaired Howling Wolff as it crosses above the 30-meter jump
    •   Added berms on Pines Trail
    •   Moved kiosk to in front of East Chalet
    •   Ordered new maps from Wells Printing
    •   Planted grass on Skills Park berm
    •   Flagged dead ash trees for removal
    •   Dug drains on Creek Trail
    •   Weed-whacked entire Creek Trail
    •   Build picnic area near 60-meter ski jump

Work needed:
    •   Add rock armor on Creek Trail behind biathlon berm
    •   Replace wood on Creek Trail bridge (end of 60-meter/have black locust boards for this repair)
    •   Clear standing dead ash trees along E-W Connector and Howling Wolff (experts only)
    •   Secure boardwalks on Erdman Ski Trail
    •   Fix last berm on Howling Wolff before it crosses road
    •   Roller Coaster: Open existing drain on last big berm (or replace)
    •   Landscape and plant grass on Skills Park to prevent erosion
    •   Add more fabric to control erosion on Switchbacks
    •   Add sign saying "yield to uphill riders" on top of Switchbacks
    •   Widen 2-way Creek Trail for better passing
    •   Install high quality signs on 4x4 pressure-treated posts

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    jtmilleer
    send it dude

June 08, 2020, 05:08 PM

did some weed whacking on deer run and ling short, there is a tree down on hill 6 that i can’t clear

XXX

June 08, 2020, 08:06 PM

I noticed a large tree down on the island climb today.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

June 08, 2020, 08:15 PM

Sounds like the trees are starting to fall:
      -One on the top of Hill #6
      -One on Island (I saw this, it's a small diameter tree on the ground).
    I suspect that they are ash trees -- as there are lots of these trees that are dead, standing, and waiting to fall.

Since both of these are easy for a rider to see, we'll get to them as soon as we can (or as soon as someone volunteers).

Pat

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX

June 09, 2020, 11:32 AM

Took care of the tree at the top of Hill #6, didn't get to the one on Island though.

-Jake B

XXX

June 10, 2020, 10:33 AM

I was not happy with my previous trimming s this morning I went back and hit the trails east of the road to the bottom of the hill except the Black-most difficult trails.

That was one large branch down on the last 1/4 of Twist, bigger and longer than I could move off the trail. I can bring a saw tomorrow or tonight after the rain.

There were only a 4-5 sports holding a bit of water, all but one on Wolff. But there is a lot of areas that need to be debermed. I will try to work on that after the rain later today or in the morning.  It is very obvious after a rain where the problems are.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

June 10, 2020, 02:25 PM

Thanks to Greg and Jake!

Several of us (Jeff Hoerning, Tom Schwab, Jim L'Heureux) planted grass on the Skills Area berms. This rain should help!

Pat

~ Pat Remington

XXX

June 11, 2020, 07:19 PM

Spend several hours today on the trail east of the main road to the bottom of the hill deberming and some trimming but lots of work left. Trails were pretty dry late this afternoon. A couple of the pools at the apex of the bank turns on Roller Coaster are and at the top of the jump line of the skills area are pretty full.
    Greg

XXX

June 30, 2020, 08:41 PM

You guys probably already know this, but there are some big trees down on the E/W connector, Ziggy, and Erdmann connector.

XXX

July 09, 2020, 10:27 AM

Trimmed the Erdman connector as far as the mud hole. The rest of the way to PV could still use it.

I was going to use the walk behind 22” trimmer but could not get it started. There was no oil on the dip stick so I added some and could get it to turn over but only just. A lot of resistance. Middleton power won’t work on Craftsman; is it in the budget to buy a new walk behind from Stihl from them? It would make the long sections with thick tall grass go faster.

I sawed apart the recently fallen tree at the bottom of new switchbacks so no more ducking.

Then I took a plunge to cool off.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

July 12, 2020, 05:56 PM

Trimmed Long's Short, the Jumpline, and Island/Small Switchbacks, and recovered the Connector jump from the tall grass.  Then rode it all, and it's in fine shape.  The a-lines on Jumpline are visible again, if a little rough.  Get your fill of Island and and the Small Switchbacks in the next few weeks before they get updated.

Almost everything else could use trimming to some degree.  It would be good to beat everything back soon; the raspberries are getting aggressive, and it won't be long before every ride will end with picking the burrs out of your socks.