•  

What Tires Are Good For Quarry Ridge?

February 01, 2022, 01:25 AM

I'm Finally getting back into the MTB scene! I just picked up an 04 Stumpjumper Expert that's getting all redone except for frame, fork, and wheels*. I think I'll be riding at Quarry Ridge the most, so figure I may as well buy tires most suited to that trail system.

Wider bars and shorter stem, new hydraulic brakes, dropper post, 1x11 upgrade, new cables, housing, grips, pedals, etc, etc. White not replacing the fork and shock, they will be serviced. Can't wait to hit the trails again after ~8-10yrs away! If anyone has a Shimano 11sp derailleur for a good price, let me know. :D

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

February 01, 2022, 06:49 AM

Welcome back.

I like general purpose knobby tires at QR and for most MTB riding, tubeless, and the heavier duty casing so the whole tire and not just sidewalls have extra protection. We have a family fleet with some similar tires so I know several brands work well.  On one of our bikes I have a less knobby tire on rear tire which is nice riding from my home to trails and most trail conditions. That setup is for sure best if you ride out to Cross Plains from Middleton or Madison, ride between Quarry Ridge and Seminole, or cover some pavement going to Quarry Park.

I tend to get stuff including tires from the independent shops listed in the CORP sponsors here. They help make your trails possible, have a lot of expertise, and they know the area trails.

XXX

March 17, 2022, 03:33 PM

Ive been using WTB Vigilante 2.3 and theyve been good. not the best grip in the world but decent and i havent gotten a flat in 2 years, even using tubes

XXX

March 22, 2022, 07:49 AM

Welcome back! I ride a maxxis minion up front and a rekon in the back everywhere I ride and am happy with it. You've likely made some moves on this already, but I would point out briefly that for the cost of all the upgrades you are talking about on that bike you could almost certainly get a more modern hardtail on the used market which may serve you better. That being said, if you are attached to your old bike or simply want to enjoy the tinkering process, then by all means enjoy and disregard this post entirely. Just suggesting a possible alternative!