•  

Blue Mounds Trail Conditions

December 11, 2014, 10:04 AM

As a disclaimer winter conditions can and will change quickly...

Brian and I went out last night, did the Mound/Holy Schist loop. Conditions were good, most of the ice was covered in a dusting of snow that made for some great traction. Some sections were rough from foot traffic but, overall it was moderately fast.

Looking at the possible future weather, the trail should be rideable tonight and tomorrow morning. If you can get out it might be the last time for a few day's

XXX

December 17, 2014, 08:08 PM

I plan on calling the office tomorrow morning, but anyone have any idea if the trails will be cement by tomorrow morning?  And if the snow melted off, or just melted down into a icy sheet?  I just finished up with finals, and could use a good ride before a bunch of driving this weekend

XXX

December 17, 2014, 09:41 PM

Hiked about 7 miles out there today.  Really didn't see any snow.

Only a couple of soft spots where water had pooled and even that was covered by ice. 

Most of the trail was firm and VERY crunchy.

The "trails closed" sign was still up but doesn't really need to be.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

December 18, 2014, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the info! I will call the office and hope that they have opened up the trails.

XXX

December 18, 2014, 09:00 AM

I haven't been out since the last thaw, it should be solid, a little rough, low spots might have some ice otherwise traction is great.

XXX

December 18, 2014, 09:17 AM

I am heading out there this afternoon.  Just called, and the recorded message (didn't get a person) says that the trails are open!

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

December 18, 2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the update. I plan to ride tonight, 6 PM.

XXX

December 18, 2014, 03:46 PM

Walt,

Looks like I can sneak away from work and get out tonight. If I'm not there don't wait, my plan is to make it by 6.

Jay

XXX

December 21, 2014, 08:09 PM

How have the conditions been looking early in the morning while the trails are still relatively frozen? I ride a fatbike with 4" tires so I'm curious if they're rideable if I got out there around 7am and finished up by 10am or so tomorrow morning (Monday) without causing any damage to the tracks? It is suppose to snow/rain tomorrow afternoon but it should dip below freezing tonight and stay right at or below 32 until about 10am so I was hoping that if I could get a ride in before that I could avoid damaging the trails but if they've been too muddy early in the mornings anyway I'll just stay away to avoid causing any problems.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

December 21, 2014, 09:52 PM

How have the conditions been looking early in the morning while the trails are still relatively frozen? I ride a fatbike with 4" tires so I'm curious if they're rideable if I got out there around 7am and finished up by 10am or so tomorrow morning (Monday) without causing any damage to the tracks? It is suppose to snow/rain tomorrow afternoon but it should dip below freezing tonight and stay right at or below 32 until about 10am so I was hoping that if I could get a ride in before that I could avoid damaging the trails but if they've been too muddy early in the mornings anyway I'll just stay away to avoid causing any problems.

Personally, I would probably stay off the trails until temps stay below freezing for a few days.  There is a lot of seep when it thaws and conditions were very marginal even as of last Thursday, and the temps had been below freezing for several days at that point.

XXX

December 30, 2014, 09:19 AM

Brian and I were out last night, trail is in great condition.