•  

BM is great right now!!!

February 14, 2015, 03:51 PM

Spike and I went out starting with Home Stretch.  Some tough areas but overall it is GREAT!!!  Blue Mound is a GEM in the winter because all of the scary rocks are covered and it is a great view and getting a great workout at the same time.  Have a great WEEKEND!!!

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 14, 2015, 09:15 PM

Good to hear you got out and enjoyed the trails. It's certainly a different experience in the winter.  I've found the rocks are less scary if you make them your friends. I think Walt even has names for most of them. We'll be out there this spring making sure they're all nice and polished for 2015.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

February 15, 2015, 06:34 AM

Thanks for your efforts in keeping the trails open this winter. I've been able to get out on them a couple of times on my non-fat bike because of the work the fat bikers have put in.

The winter biking activity has been noticed by the Friends of Blue Mound. They are enthusiastic about having biking/snowshoeing use of the bike trails in the winter.

Walt

XXX

February 18, 2015, 08:34 AM

Got out yesterday. Did the Mounds loop, Holy Schist is slightly loose from hiker/runner divots but, still in good shape. The rest of the trail is wide and fast.

XXX

March 06, 2015, 08:37 PM

This weekend:

Trail and snow conditions are very hard to predict, after 4 years of snow biking at the mound.... thoughts for the weekend.

With the tree cover Blue Mounds can handle more sun and heat then other trails, by noon tomorrow it will probably be soft, if you get there to ride and you are sinking in and you can make a snowball with the snow it might be best to just do hill repeats  :D  . This is a little bit of a long shot, but Sunday morning the snow should be frozen again and if the trail does not get foot traffic or... if someone wants to get out for a great night hike, bring your snowshoes and pack the 7 miles in after dark. It will be perfect for riding for first thing in the morning.

This is all a guess at best.... bottom line, ride before it is over!!!