•  

Snow stomping

January 21, 2019, 11:17 AM

I feel like we could have a pretty great winter of riding at BM if we get out there later this week (and in the future) to stop the trails in with some snowshoes. Is there any way we can coordinate these efforts? I think I might be able to head out there Wednesday evening.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

January 21, 2019, 11:33 AM

I think Walt made a pass on snowshoes over the weekend, not sure where but likely the short loop from the trailhead. My guess is that it needs more.

It's possible there will be enough snow to machine groom after Tuesday, but snowshoeing is always helpful.

XXX

January 21, 2019, 12:58 PM

Oh, so machine grooming is an option this year?    :-)

A friend and I rode out there yesterday afternoon and the short loop was just rideable with super low tire pressure. Should be much better today after our four tires packed it in some more, and after it set-up some last night. Looked like Overload and Holy Shist had been snowshoed in too, but it did't appear as packed so we didn't risk it.

I'd recommend folks get out there to ride today or early tomorrow while the getting is good!

XXX

January 26, 2019, 09:45 PM

I stomped Home Stretch and half of Holy Schist (backwards out to the "big climb") today, out and back so 2 sets of tracks. Three people had already done the other half of Holy Schist. Two more passes on what I stomped and it should be ready to ride!

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

January 26, 2019, 10:01 PM

Thanks Frank. I'm hopeful that Walt or I will get out with the machine Sunday.

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

January 28, 2019, 10:07 AM

Everything is going to need to be stomped/groomed again.  I managed to get out Sunday and groom the beginning of Holy Schist down to the bottom of Kipp's Climb and back.  Even with a set of snowshoes to follow it was tough going.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

February 28, 2019, 07:08 AM

I snowshoed Home Stretch and Holy Schist backward yesterday February 27th. I turned around about 200 yards before the top of Kipp's Climb, and shoed back out the way I came.

We've been getting a lot of help from people getting out and snowshoeing. The Snow Dog is difficult to maneuver through parts of Holy Schist. It's nearly impossible to get through the big ravine at the top of Kipp's Climb, even going down hill.

I plan to go back out and snowshoe the beginning half of Holy Schist today, but it's going to take more passes than I have time to do in order to get it mashed down enough to ride.