•  

Thursday Night Rides! Meet at CamRock Garage. No-drop. Ride at 6p.

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 13, 2017, 03:17 PM

Well I hope the race next Saturday will not get canceled and we will have snow to ride on.  Figures the I get a fat bike and then there is no snow.  I know I can still ride but want the snow!
    So it's your fault we don't have any snow. Should have know someone got their first fatty  ;)
    I won't lie. I am getting frustrated. Especially when it seems that everyone around us is blessed with snow. And places like the UP and anywhere out west are just getting buried in it.
    BTW: Forecast for next week is 40's for Monday to Thursday. 50's on Friday and Saturday. We can't seem to buy a break  :(

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 13, 2017, 02:26 PM

Well I hope the race next Saturday will not get canceled and we will have snow to ride on.  Figures the I get a fat bike and then there is no snow.  I know I can still ride but want the snow!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 13, 2017, 02:18 PM

So after getting a couple of texts, a couple of us planned to venture out. Which turned into a few after one soul did not get the cancelled memo. So all tires at 3-3 psi, a lowered seats, half clipped in half of us not, and off we went and riding real slow.
    It was odd. Really like riding on a skating rink as a kid. Keep it straight and no sudden moves. Luckily we had a bunch of flat trails to ride: Along the creek to the bench where we lost one of our gang. He decided that as a small business owner he could not risk a broken shoulder, so back he went. Can't blame him. He was one of the clipped, which in the conditions was prolly not the best choice. The three of us left stuck it out and continued on the lower section of prairie (Rip 'N Ride bypass) to the roundabout, then over and around CamRock II, then back the route we came. Basically avoinded any hills, because their was no traction to get up them. And no traction going down for braking was scary. It was not a night for speed.
    So an interesting ride. But it was an amazing night to be out. Really bright moon. Very still and quiet. At least until the Great Horned owls started their calls. It is mating season, and we heard somewhere around eight of them from at least three different parts of the park all calling. That was an awesome experience.   

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 12, 2017, 02:53 PM

I hate to do this at this late of a time/date. But tonight's ride is cancelled. I just got off the trails and they are really slippery. About 1/2" of snow on top of rock-hard ice.
    Hopefully once it warms and cools the snow will bond to the ice. But a ride now at 3psi, a lowered seat, not clipping in, and riding real slow is all that will keep you upright on flat trails. And that is really dicey. Riding hills is impossible.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 10, 2017, 02:06 PM

Do this happen every Thursday night or only as posted on FB?
    In the past year it has happened every Thursday Night the trails have been open. That has almost-always included a FB posting. But posting the rides weekly is a fairly new thing - we used to do a recurring Event and it seems no one saw it. The weekly postings seem to be working a lot better.
    The only catch is when sometimes it is not clear until right before the ride of the trails are in condition to ride or not. With a high of 22 this coming Thursday, the trails will be open. With everything frozen, nothing is going to get damaged. What shape they will be in might be another story....time will tell.  ::)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 10, 2017, 11:52 AM

Do this happen every Thursday night or only as posted on FB?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 30, 2016, 07:02 AM

Dang another really fun ride last night! Once again a really good group of folks out riding. The trails were challenging but lots of fun. Lots of learning about the conditions, tire pressures, and how to ride it. These kind of conditions make a good technical rider out of everyone. And the food afterward was amazing!
    We had all the B's going last night: Riding our bikes to get to bourbon burgers with bacon on buns. Of course washed down with a beer. Heck we even met up with Ben on the trail! Hows that for a little cheese to end this post  ::)

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:29 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 22, 2016, 06:51 AM

Sorry for the late post. We are definitely riding tonight! Should be great conditions. Trails were just groomed. With the sun it is too warm to ride during the day today, but should be nice and firm for tonight. And it will be 30 degrees warmer than last week! Lets to a little early Christmas celebrating tonight. Bring lights if you got 'em!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 16, 2016, 09:40 AM

Well that was a lot of fun! A half-dozen hearty souls braved the cold for a fun ride last night. We had a couple of new-to-the-area or new-to-winter-riding folks along. It was great to get to know them a bit. And it was really a nice night out there. We even got to see the huge blood-orange moon rising for a bit before it ducked behind the clouds. A wee bit on the nippy side, but it's Wisco. Deal with it  ;D
    As usual the fun continued at the CamRock Pub afterward into the waning hours. And that naughty pub Barbie was getting into all sorts of trouble. But that's a story for another day......

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

December 15, 2016, 05:02 PM

YES!

XXX

December 15, 2016, 04:33 PM

Still riding tonight? 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 10, 2016, 12:24 AM

I've got another light, and bar mitts on order.  I've had to work the last 3 weeks so I'm going for sure!  I'm off Monday through thursday if anyone wants to ride before or if you need help with trail prep.   812-239-3098
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing you out here. This forecast just keeps getting better. Winter and snow bike season is here!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

December 09, 2016, 05:48 PM

I've got another light, and bar mitts on order.  I've had to work the last 3 weeks so I'm going for sure!  I'm off Monday through thursday if anyone wants to ride before or if you need help with trail prep.   812-239-3098

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 09, 2016, 08:59 AM

Another great Thursday Night Ride! A good fun group of folks showed up. The weather was awesome. Cool to be out under the stars again. Snow flakes drifting down.
    The riding was fun. Mostly fast, with long sessions stopping to BS. No one seemed to want to lead. Everyone was just enjoying the night. Amazing to see the dust kicking up off our wheels on the fast sections. We got a good shake down ride on the winter riding set up. What is working and what needs to be tweaked.
    The quesadilla burgers afterward at CamRock Sport were interesting in a good way. Fun stuff. Thanks to everyone who made it out. And of course the taps are always good.
    So I gues this was a test....if the forecast holds we might really find out who the real riders are NEXT week.....lots of good groomed snow by then...but a high of 6 next Thursday  :o

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 07, 2016, 01:59 PM

I do believe it is cold enough to call this winter riding. It should be 18 at ride time. It will be dark. But we will have amazing frozen hero dirt! It will be a blast!
    Tomorrow we find out who the real riders are ;-)

~ Chuck Hutchens