•  

How hard or not

Colin519

December 07, 2015, 12:15 AM

Hey everyone, I bought a 2015 Farley 6 and I am enjoying it so far with this winter/ extended fall weather we are having.  I want to race it in the Fatbike category at WORS this 2016 season and I am wondering how hard or not will it be to put a bluto fork on the front for some suspension ?

My wheels I have on it right now are 135mm Bontrager Jackelope with the quick release.  I have seen that some of these can be converted to run a 15mm thur-axle and some spacers... but when I talked to someone at Trek/Bontrager they said I would need whole new $500 wheel. 

So I am wondering if someone can help me out with this.  Has anyone done this ?  How hard would it be for me to do this and cost ?

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

December 07, 2015, 10:13 AM

You'll need a 150mmX15mm through axle hub to run the Bluto.  The front hub on the Jackalope wheelset is not convertible to so you're looking at a new front hub laced into the wheel at a minimum.

If it were me, I would want a whole second front wheel so I can run the rigid fork in the winter on the snow.

You could also get a 150mmx15mm rigid fork and use the same front wheel on the rigid and bluto.  You'll have an extra rigid fork AND wheel then though.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

December 07, 2015, 10:17 AM

I know a guy in Rochester, MN who is selling a couple Origin8 150mm front hubs for $40 each.  You'd need to get it laced into a rim though.

XXX
    Colin519

December 07, 2015, 04:35 PM

I believe that the Jackelope wheels are 32 hole, so I would need a hub.  Who do I contact for the hub. 

I plan on racing my mtb bike most of the time so having that bluto fork would be nice and I could always lock it out for the winter (instead of swapping back to a ridged fork).  My bike is stored inside in a heated garage.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

December 07, 2015, 04:41 PM

I just friend requested you on FB...I'll hook you guys up there.

XXX
    Colin519

December 30, 2015, 02:51 PM

Just picked up a Bluto fork... but I need to figure out someone to lace up my new hub on my old wheel and install the fork. 

Trek said it would be about $100 to lace the hub into the wheel

I dont have the spokes that would work with the new hub.

XXX

February 01, 2016, 12:25 PM

I can do the conversion for you Fork runs 600-700 depending on model. I can rebuild your wheel with a different hub for $50 + parts. I may even have the new RST Renegade in stock in the next few days they run around the $500 mark for the fork.

XXX

February 01, 2016, 02:25 PM

I would recommend against running that Bluto in the winter. Between the road salt eating the stanchions and the cold shrinking and hardening the seals, you're going to destroy it pretty quickly.

XXX

February 01, 2016, 04:40 PM

I would recommend against running that Bluto in the winter. Between the road salt eating the stanchions and the cold shrinking and hardening the seals, you're going to destroy it pretty quickly.

That applys if he is riding it on the roads / commuter path. He mentions the Wors Race and more than likely is just riding it off road which wouldnt be an issue.  I ride mine strictly offroad and havent had any issues with mine.

XXX

February 01, 2016, 04:44 PM

It also applies if he's portaging his bike on the outside of his car in the winter, or riding in cold conditions.

Rigid is a safer bet for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

February 01, 2016, 08:53 PM

It's not like we're caring for a classic Mountain Goat or a Fat Chance w/ Leni Fried paint job here. Sure, avoid a salt bath or shower if you can but mountain bikes and parts are consumables.

:)