•  

OK your sweet trailwork is going to cost me $$

blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 22, 2014, 02:33 PM

I need something other than an aggressively stretched out 29er if I'm to learn to properly ride all this rowdy new stuff at quarry ridge. 
    I think I want to replace my RIP9 with a 650B.  No more than 6" travel.  Something suitable also for bombing down something like the red trail at copper harbor.  What should I get?  Anybody interested in a well equipped, fully serviced, excellent conditoin small  RIP9?

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:24 AM by blackbike »

XXX

October 22, 2014, 02:43 PM

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 22, 2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah I was looking pretty hard at Zeus two years ago but too rich for my blood since half the household income fled the scene.  Did Ventana resolve the rear tire/seat tube rub issue? 
    I've also been pretty interested in a SC Bronson.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 22, 2014, 03:11 PM

Bronsons aren't exactly cheap either. Actually nothing really cheap...

XXX

October 22, 2014, 03:32 PM

Have you ridden a Kona? They feel small and nimble. My next bike will probably be a Kona 29er - feels like a 26.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 22, 2014, 04:52 PM

Have you ridden a Kona? They feel small and nimble. My next bike will probably be a Kona 29er - feels like a 26.
    Have had 2 Konas.  The last 26er I owned was a Kona.  And the first 29er I owned.  But I don't think they're making a 650b dually (?) 

(edit): just realized they do.  Will take a look.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:54 PM by blackbike »

XXX

October 22, 2014, 07:55 PM

I love my RIP9 and tonight was my first time out there on it after the awesome trail updates. That said, I was coming from a Fisher HT 29 so this FS bike smooths it out so much more and lets me ride a lot faster in sections.

What year, color, etc for the RIP? The wife is looking....kinda. Mine's a medium, you said you have a small?

~ Go Big or Go Home

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 22, 2014, 11:39 PM

Have had 2 Konas.  The last 26er I owned was a Kona.  And the first 29er I owned.  But I don't think they're making a 650b dually (?) 

(edit): just realized they do.  Will take a look.

The current and IMO right Kona's have the ride in it vs on it feel in two wheel sizes, hard way or soft.

Some new Treks are that way, and have a super new shock if you've enjoyed aspects of a hard tail, they are firm when you pump them.

Wade, Tim and I have three different versions of the modern Konas. Chad has the 2015 Remedy with the new shock tech and Derby rims.

What's cool about the Trek shock is its firm when you want, and not the on off firm or soft like VPP or DW yet it's totally free open or plush when it takes hits.

Some of the new Treks have double or triple chainrings and that's unfortunate.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

October 23, 2014, 08:20 AM

I'll play Devil's Advocate here...

Who says your RIP9 has to be aggressively stretched out?  That's actually not how that bike is designed to be set up.  Try a shorter stem and wider/riser bars.  Are you running a 120mm fork?  Try a 140mm.  Try a dropper post.  Etc...

Not to be the one to talk you out of a new bike, but a new stem and bars is much cheaper.  Might be a good place to start.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:56 AM by Nate W. »

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 23, 2014, 08:59 AM

I'll play Devil's Advcocate here...

Who says your RIP9 has to be aggressively stretched out?  That's actually not how that bike is designed to be set up.  Try a shorter stem and wider/riser bars.  Are you running a 120mm fork?  Try a 140mm.  Try a dropper post.  Etc...

Not to be the one to talk you out of a new bike, but a new stem and bars is much cheaper.  Might be a good place to start.
    Yeah I was thinking along those lines last night.  It's not as stretcedh out as my hardtail or singlespeed, but close.  Yet I mostly use the RIP for a pretty different kind of riding.  I think when I set it up, I just went for the same fit I use on the other bikes, which are much more xc/race.  I'll try a shorter stem and see.  I remember getting on Wade's large Kona (and he's notably taller than me) and realizing it fit shorter than my own bikes (to go with a very different geo).

Damn, still fun to think about another bike though....

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 23, 2014, 09:04 AM

I'll play Devil's Advcocate here...

Might be the best post yet. I've gone to shorter stems, wider bars, and have dropper posts on two bikes. Those changes alone got me feeling way better about scenarios where you fly, drop or are kind of like mogul skiing and have to take it at the speed terrain dictates vs what you would prefer.

Something else that helps me for new learning or being in the air is the pedals I choose. I mix it up between the egg beater type and flats with sticky rubber shoes.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

October 23, 2014, 03:17 PM

Did Ventana resolve the rear tire/seat tube rub issue? 

That turned out to not be a thing but in typical fashion the problem is page one headlines but the resolution was buried on page 99 of the classifieds.  The one test bike had an incorrect component resulting in the rub.

~ i like social d

XXX

October 23, 2014, 03:38 PM

kona process 134  FTW.  27.5" wheels.  Jeff at TRAIL THIS has a small in the shop!

XXX

October 23, 2014, 09:31 PM

Please change title of the post.

You should consider this an opportunity, not a negative. Besides, if you want something easy and fast, go ride Military Ridge.

If it was a bigger size, I would be strongly interested in your RIP9. I was just looking at one last night with the purpose of riding it at QR!

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

October 23, 2014, 09:52 PM

Please change title of the post.

You should consider this an opportunity, not a negative. Besides, if you want something easy and fast, go ride Military Ridge.

If it was a bigger size, I would be strongly interested in your RIP9. I was just looking at one last night with the purpose of riding it at QR!
    I guess if Scot wasn't so short he would have at least 2 interested buyers ;)