•  

Tubeless Upgrade?

November 20, 2014, 12:20 PM

Tried split tube ghetto tubeless a while back - wasted a bunch of stans/co2 cartridges and ended up a little frustrated in the end.  I think my rim/tire combination just wasn't ideal.  In any case, just spotted these rims:

http://www.bikewagon.com/wtb-st-i23-26-mountain-bike-rim-32-hole-black

Is there any reason these aren't a good deal?  To make things work easily/correctly, I believe I still need a tubeless compatible tire, tubeless tape, sealant, and valves?  Looks like 26" tcs tires can be had for ~$30 now:

WTB Weirwolf
    WTB Moto
    Kenda Nevegal

Anyone think one of them looks better than the others?  Or maybe someone has a recommendation for another ~$35 tcs/ust tire?

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts/advice I'd really appreciate it!

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 20, 2014, 04:57 PM

You'll have to lace the rims into wheels too, but otherwise you're set. I have the 29" version of those...they work well. Especially with WTB tires.

XXX

November 20, 2014, 09:50 PM

cool, thanks.  I realize I'll have to build up the wheels - will be a fun winter project.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 21, 2014, 06:37 AM

Sorry to point out the obvious, but sometimes people miss that. And the cost can be significant if they can't DIY.

XXX

November 21, 2014, 08:16 AM

Not a problem - I do appreciate any/all help!

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

November 21, 2014, 08:36 AM

I'll second the WTB setup you are looking at. Nate laced mine up 2 years ago and they are still very close to true. I have had a lot of trouble with wheels staying true in the past but these seem to be bomb proof for my XC riding. I'm running a weirwolf and a bronson.
    XXX

November 21, 2014, 12:36 PM

I have had a lot of trouble with wheels staying true in the past...

How do wheels get out of true when they sit around in your garage?  :P

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:42 PM by jeffb »