•  

A hard lesson in sell before it is too late.....

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 22, 2014, 09:40 AM

"I paid $858.00 for it and am willing to sell it for $450."

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/4463510465.html

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this add be offering someone money to dispose of it if the goal is to get the thing out of the house?

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

May 22, 2014, 01:25 PM

"I paid $858.00 for it and am willing to sell it for $450."

Translation:  I don't actually want to sell this item, I just want to show everybody a picture of my bike on the innernetz"

~ i like social d

XXX

May 22, 2014, 04:08 PM

I love the "Judy insert - (UPGRADED)"  The last time I used a Judy TT was off my old trek 4500, and it was used as an anchor for my kayak when I was in a hurry   :D

~ Go Big or Go Home

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

February 19, 2016, 08:40 PM

XXX XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

February 20, 2016, 11:40 AM

I noticed the Klein fever described when I had brief thoughts of selling our classic Fat Chance. The problem I'd have with much of that stuff that's not museum quality is so many old steel bikes still ride as nice as any and not so much for many AL frames.

The Trek Y bikes and their rubber bumper suspension predecessors will get some seriously ridiculous asking prices.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 20, 2016, 11:42 AM

...and not so much for many AL frames...

This is what makes Klein Fever so puzzling.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 20, 2016, 03:01 PM

I ought to throw my Haro Extreme Comp out there and test the waters. Three colors of neon. Super narrow handlebars. Front cable guide through the stem. Elevated chainstays. U brake.
    Its a classic.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 20, 2016, 03:03 PM

As long as you use the words "vintage" and "rare," you can ask a ton of money for it.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

February 21, 2016, 07:44 AM

Wow... I guess the local one is kind of a good deal.

That there are so many of these suggests that there are actually buyers for them, which I can't get my head around.  Or is this just a sort of internet showing-off, with no expectation of a sale?

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

February 21, 2016, 11:58 AM

There are quite a few who say they're mountain bikers. A few times I've asked and pushed to learn they're talking about the bike they bought when the sport first hit popularity, and these late 1980s and early 90s bikes usually hang in the garage or basement.

Some of these people become temporary mountain bikers again when they show up against trail projects at Sun Prairie, Middleton and Blue Mound meetings. They say or shout "I'm a mountain biker too!" before they shout why they can't have trails terrorizing their back yard. The same questions that have revealed the sort of mountain bikers they are usually reveal they don't know what single track is. I pushed it with a few and learned the trails they claim to ride and love - the ones where we shoud go - are Indian Lake and east side of John Muir trail head probably closed 20+ years now.

XXX

April 14, 2016, 11:50 AM

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

April 14, 2016, 12:05 PM

What is it about Kleins?
    https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/5538507085.html
    But, it comes with a Quadra 21! That alone is worth $25.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

April 14, 2016, 12:24 PM

What is it about Kleins?
    https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/5538507085.html

Just the name - Attitude - got me going. Confession, not for the bike but to the toilet, then lunch.

XXX

April 15, 2016, 12:02 PM

Clearly, anyone who has the technical expertise to know a headset top collar thingy when he/she sees one, and no idea where a person measures a frame to determine its size; would be exactly the person I would consult if I wanted to know if a bike was "highly collectable"

somebody is high anyway.

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.