•  

A few more signs might be helpful

September 18, 2018, 05:35 PM

So I did Pleasant Ridge for the 2nd time recently.
    The first time, when I got to the bottom of Slice, I was confused and ended up on the connector trail which took me to Blackhawk that included going through two big muddy areas on the way.
    That was not my intention so I just went with it and kept going.
    The second time I saw where I got confused.
    Because there are no signs pointing the way where the Slice continues it wasn't that obvious to me.

I dunno how or where the start to the jump track is.
    I came upon it soon after the entrance to the Fairway where there  are all these trails that criss cross and I dunno where they all go.
    I know which one is the Fairway but what's up with all these other ones that leads off of it?
    I didn't do the jump track this time. Instead I practiced on the skills section a few times. Interesting that I haven't seen that advertised.

And what about the double wide grassy mowed trail that is to the far right of the parking lot that runs along the edge of PV?
    All what is there is a sign informing us to stay off the trails when wet and muddy.
    Where does that trail lead to? Is it part of the CORP system of PV?
    Is it possible for more signs or is letting us explore, discover and make mistakes supposed to be part of the fun of MTBing?

Other than that, it's a great system of trails and I enjoy it.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 19, 2018, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the input.  Signage is sort of a weak spot for us.  The trails get built, then we start riding, then we need to do maintenance, and we still want to ride some, and that last step to completing the trails keeps getting pushed down the list.  Not a great excuse, but it's all we've got.  The bottom of Pleasant View is definitely not intuitive.  Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to remind the folks who spend a lot of time there of that.  We'll move signage back up the priority list.

The jump line is unlikely to get signed better.  It's slated to be rebuilt, in part because it isn't clear and there are crossings.  Believe it or not, it used to be worse.  It actually is intuitive if you have some experience, but I can see how it doesn't look that way.  Probably the best way to get a better feel is to come out on one of the remaining Capital Brewery Tuesday/Thursday rides, or otherwise hook up with someone experienced.  For what it's worth, the sequence is; start at the picnic table area, 90 degree right berm, 180 degree left berm, go right at the fork before entering the woods into a 180 degree right berm, over the step-up, cross the exit trail, 90 degree left berm, then the jumps.

By skills area, I assume you mean the elevated sections down in the bowl.  They are something fun to stumble upon; they could be better signed/promoted, but there is, as you say, some fun in discovering things.

That two track is not official trail.  Some folks who are uncomfortable with the steep side-hill before the first bridge like to go that way; it just follows the power lines and you hook up with the real trail at the first short prairie.

XXX

September 24, 2018, 08:45 AM

I’ll +1 on this.  My wife and I went yesterday for the first time and were very confused as to how to get started and where the actual trails were.  We parked on the lot and all I saw was the first  trail that had the X(wrong way).  I didn’t see any other trails or the pump track either.   So pretty sure we went backwards on the first half because I couldn’t figure out what the actual route was!

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 24, 2018, 08:55 AM

It sounds like you parked outside the gate, following the instructions on the sign by the gate.  That sign is actually not accurate, and you are welcome to park on the paved lot, in which case the entrance trail and pump track are pretty obvious.  That sign is part of a longstanding dispute we and the City have with the golf course; too long to go into, maybe resolved in the near future, but I will forward your experience to the City.  I doubt that will change anything, because the City's m.o. is to not rile up the folks at the golf course (who are easily riled), but it is important to let them know these things matter.  Thanks for your input.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:01 AM by augs »

XXX

September 24, 2018, 10:41 AM

I got out here for the first time 2 weeks ago and agree signs leave something to be desired, but thought the layout was intuitive enough to ride till I figured it out.

At least it's not a 20 mile route around if you miss the trail head :)

XXX

September 24, 2018, 11:27 AM

Thanks, I’m headed back tonight hopefully and will check it out again.  The lot was pretty busy so I’m sure I just missed it.  Yeah that sign got me thinking are we not supposed to be here? And didn’t see any other bikers.

XXX

October 23, 2018, 02:37 AM

Thank you for getting back to me with the reply.
    It is much appreciated.

OK so I did PV yesterday again and this time I could see where the jump track begins and walked around to figure things out.
    It looks like off the main track into the woods there is a sorta, unofficial trail that shortcuts into it as well and it goes by the exit trail.
    Will that or could that be improved as a loop for those wanting to continue instead of starting over in the parking lot?
    Perhaps after you awesome guys redo it you could put up new signs to point to the jumps.

Another question of trails I have are those wide ones that look like they are for vehicles that cut across the MTB ones.
    I suppose they are for in case of fire or other park usage and not part of the MTB trail system. 

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 24, 2018, 08:50 PM

Thank you for getting back to me with the reply.
    It is much appreciated.

OK so I did PV yesterday again and this time I could see where the jump track begins and walked around to figure things out.
    It looks like off the main track into the woods there is a sorta, unofficial trail that shortcuts into it as well and it goes by the exit trail.
    Will that or could that be improved as a loop for those wanting to continue instead of starting over in the parking lot?
    Perhaps after you awesome guys redo it you could put up new signs to point to the jumps.

Another question of trails I have are those wide ones that look like they are for vehicles that cut across the MTB ones.
    I suppose they are for in case of fire or other park usage and not part of the MTB trail system.

Hi,

The MTB Project app and site illustrate the trail system. The wide grass trails you mention are Nordic ski trail or utility easements.

Thank you.

XXX
    BackyardTrails
    Trail Design & Development In Your Community

February 28, 2019, 12:03 PM

Good thread. Improved / updated wayfinding will go along with any work completed by BYT...

✌️ Ken