•  

The Farm Report

farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

March 09, 2017, 06:19 AM

Went out Sunday afternoon and walked the north loop cleaning up the small debris. Made a mental note that I had 6 trees to come back and get with a chainsaw. With chainsaw in hand, I went out and did 10 trees last night and numerous small debris.

Was out riding a few laps of the south loop last saturday morning before it warmed up. Was all clear then but after all this wind who knows what I'll find. Had one tree go down right in my yard.

With all the wind and no frost in the ground, the trails are drying out fast. Todd and I will be going out tonight with the fat bikes to check it out.

Stay tuned for an early dirt report.   :)

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

March 10, 2017, 06:19 AM

Todd and I had a good ride last night. Had to stop several times and move branches and there still a lot of small stuff out there. One big mess that will take a chainsaw.
    There was a little dampness on the north loop. Nothing that sticks to tires just may cause a traction problem. I was able to make every climb, of course fat tires really helped.
    Probably won't be thinking of blowing the leaves off for a few more weeks until it gets drier. Makes the trail a little harder to follow if not familiar but it does allow us to get out and ride sooner.
    With the cold temps this weekend, riding should be pretty good. Will try to get out this weekend and clear the south loop but not sure when, have to work saturday.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

March 19, 2017, 10:07 PM

Went out for a ride this afternoon to check out conditions. The south loop was in pretty good shape. The steep downhill right off the connector was a bit soft and slippery. Not to bad going down but no way are you going to ride up it. I was on the tractor but regular tires would probably be OK.
    As I rode over the hill on the connector, I knew things weren't going to be good. As I went down the hill , things were getting soft. Dropped off the back side of the dam and decided to turn around. Wasn't making a rut but my knobs were filling up. Went back and just did a couple more laps on the south loop.
    May try to get out wed or thurs night for a ride. Looks like we may get rained out next weekend.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

March 21, 2017, 08:37 PM

Made it out tonight and did both loops in both directions. I was a bit surprised how much the north loop had dried out since Sunday. Just for the record, I did do a little walking up the bobsled run and I did have a couple foot dabs.  :o

I did get out last week and cleaned up the big tree on the south loop. Also walked it and picked up most of the smaller stuff. Probably be a couple weeks before I start blowing the leaves off. Long range forecast looks like a wet week coming up.

Get out and ride before the rains come this weekend   ???