•  

County Trail Passes

June 08, 2016, 08:31 PM

I've been meaning to ask around...anyone know what the deal is with the new look to the trail passes this year? Is the intent that it is to be displayed? I hope that's not the case.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 08, 2016, 11:07 PM

I've been meaning to ask around...anyone know what the deal is with the new look to the trail passes this year? Is the intent that it is to be displayed? I hope that's not the case.
    Yes the intent is to have it displayed. This is to make it easier to see if people have the pass, without having to dig for it. And if a little peer pressure encourages people to buy a pass, all the better. I am curious as to why you hope that is not the case?
    Though the county did not include directions with the passes they send out.
    I am trying to get a flyer to go with the passes. Two items come to mind: With the adhesive strip, they should be attached perpendicular, or 90 degrees, to each other. It works really well around your handlebar stem. And that's a great visible spot. Try it and it makes sense. Also the adhesive is really poor. I used a common household stapler and stuck a couple through it. It worked really well.
    Don't be surprised if someone asks to see the pass if it is not visible. I know I do.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

June 09, 2016, 08:20 AM

I guess I get the idea of trying to making it easier to tell who has one and who doesn't. As you said the adhesive (velcro) seems really poor and I don't trust it, especially while transporting the bike.  I've considered securing it with a zip tie, but I'm still not sure I want it back there while going down the highway. Also a more permanent way of affixing it to the bike would be a pain for someone that has multiple bike...fortunately (or unfortunately) that isn't an issue for me  :'(

This wasn't meant to be a huge complaint and I fully support the buying of passes and encourage others to do the same. Just curious since the pass looks different and there were no instructions included.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 09, 2016, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the input. One of the biggest issues we have is there are a lot of riders illegally riding trails without a pass. That hurts our image as a user group. And it hurts us in dollars returned to the trails.
    For those that don't know, DCP has spent over a million dollars in the last couple years buying land for future trail expansion, and we want them to spend more. We can buy a $16 pass.
    BYW: The Velcro has held better than I thought it would. I accidentally went a few hundred miles with mine on the rack, and it was fine. To me the adhesive is the issue, and a couple staples fixed that. And then you can still transfer it from bike to bike if you are lucky enough to have that option :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

June 09, 2016, 10:00 AM

The adhesive is definitely a problem.  Once the temp gets over 75 the velcro comes off.  I will try and staple it together.

~ crushing it

XXX

June 09, 2016, 04:45 PM

I'm not a fan of the new passes (or the old ones, really). I carry mine in my wallet along with my state trail pass and the thick puffy material makes my wallet something . I'd much rather have something like the state trail pass.

XXX

June 11, 2016, 09:20 AM

The adhesive came off the back of the velcro on the first day.  I used a zip tie and put it on my down tube.  Not quite as visible, but out of the way and secure.

XXX

June 11, 2016, 09:32 AM

I cut the Velcro off both ends right when I got it..... I just keep in it my tool bag that I carry in my jersey pocket.

XXX

June 13, 2016, 09:50 AM

for those that need a permit  https://www.reservedane.com/permits.aspx