•  

Trek Stache vs Full Suspension

October 15, 2020, 01:22 PM

I have been riding for about 2 years. Currently have a 2018 Trek Stache 7 and a 2020 Wyatt Maverick Fatbike.

I generally ride Quarry Ridge, Camrock, and PV/Blackhawk. Occasionally ride lacrosse and southern kettle.

Someone offered to buy my Stache ($300 more than I paid for it.)

My question is, should I sell the Stache for a profit and buy a full suspension (gg trail pistol or stumpjumper)? Or just keep my 2 hardtails?

Any insight would be great.

Thank

XXX

October 15, 2020, 02:28 PM

I took the plunge for a full squish this summer an it's great. The rear suspension is a really nice QOL feature and the bike has really helped me improve and have fun, and it feels much faster, more in-control (especially when the ground gets rough) more comfortable, and has more reliable traction especially on chunky sections. But it's worth mentioning that full suspension isn't without tradeoffs. It makes bikes heavier, jumps are a little bit tougher to control in certain circumstances, you lose some kinetic energy when climbing and bunny hopping, and it can even make it a bit more difficult to navigate super tight techy sections when you need to lift the bike by the slack of the suspension before the wheel even starts to come off the ground. Of course, several of these issues can be combatted by just locking out the shock :)

Overall, if you haven't had a full squish before then I say go for it.

XXX

October 15, 2020, 07:18 PM

Not sure there is a “right” answer here, but were I in your shoes I would either stick with the stache or look into another hard tail (if you are just feeling the itch for something new). Imo hard tails are more than sufficient for everything we have here in the area, and as corkr points out being a few advantages to the table. I personally also dig their relative simplicity - less to maintain/repair/replace. That being said, do what makes you happy and keeps you out in the trails most often!

XXX

October 15, 2020, 11:16 PM

Man, it is hard to beat a Stache!

I still have the Stache I bought 3 years ago as my first mtb, but built up a Ibis Ripley this year as I was itching to try the FS thing. I have the Stache set up as a single speed with a rigid fork now. It’s hard to say if I like one more than the other, but the Ripley feels a little more planted and in control, and I feel more comfortable pushing my limits on it. The Stache is faster and more flickable, and the traction of the 29+ tires is addictive. Even though both bikes are great for our local trails and the kind of riding I do most, I haven’t been able to bring myself to sell the Stache.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 16, 2020, 06:20 AM

Delay gratification (a purchase) and try lots of stuff. Another suggestion is have spouse and kids who like to ride and all pretty much the same height. Then you can share a fleet of bikes. Be careful about swaps and trades if you already have a great spouse and kids. That applies to the bikes and family members.

I love the hard tail, fat bike and suspension bike. Hard tail is really nice for riding to trailhead from home, pumping and something like head from Madison to Mt. Horeb or Blue Mound.

Having been at this a long time I've had lots of bike types. I've also rented different models. Most bikes are good these days. Overall I really love having a dual suspension modern trail bike. It makes things fun, is a lot of control, and it's also an aid for age and injury related back problems.

A resort trip with family and the associated rentals we did was really telling. I rode more modestly priced Giants,  a nothing spared $9000 Yeti in the rental fleet and my Trek. I've tested and rented versions of my Trek with different price points. It was great proof that most all modern bikes are good and your bike engine is super important.

My bike does plus and regular 29r tires. I've tried same frame model with plus 27.5, 2.6 29 and in between and like all around 2.4 knobby the most - the versatility.

Be careful with older bikes and especially 29r. The bike industry was really stupid for years making stuff for racers or downhill. If you're neither try the modern trail bikes. The other thing I realized was once I got used to higher axle height I preferred fat and 29r for trail riding.

Again, try lots of stuff. What I like is very popular but might not be for you. When you try suspension bikes make sure the setup is correct.

Finally - fat bikes. You don't have to spend a lot on them except for studded tires. Everybody should own one in WI. Usually when skiing conditions are bad fattie conditions are good and vice a versa. The grooming - especially Snowdogging - is a combo of sadomasochism and other f*ckry that can be sort of fun and will earn you a beer or cookies.

XXX

October 19, 2020, 05:17 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I decided to keep the Stache and rent a bunch of bikes this summer.