•  

Flow Trail rebuild coming to Blue Mound!

Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

March 31, 2022, 09:55 PM

Greetings fellow mountain bikers!

We have some exciting news!  Due to an overwhelming number of favorable comments and donations, and an amazing change of heart of our partners, we're happy to announce that we're re-aligning our mission at Blue Mound.  In order to fully accommodate the growing majority of trail users who favor a less technical trail experience, we'll be redesigning the trail known as "Gneiss" as a completely buffed and tuned FLOW TRAIL!  In addition, a generous segment of trail will be paved with quick-draining asphalt, so that there's always something to ride even when conditions are poor, which as we all know, is a lot of the time (literally like right now)!

The details are still being worked out, but we have several interested contractors who "know the flow", and can't wait to see what their proposals look like!  Does this sound exciting?  Stay tuned...

Alright, if you've been paying attention, you may have guessed this is an April Fool's joke.  And you would be correct.  After your blood pressure crescendos, read on.

With the Phase 1 and 2 rebuild projects, we're not focusing on flow trail, huge features, or gnar.  We ARE focusing on what the trail system currently lacks, creating opportunities for beginner and intermediate riders, increasing sustainability of the trails, and being able to open the trails sooner after crappy weather.  We also plan to improve the overall fun factor, and take advantage of natural features whenever possible.  All this, on less than half of the total trail system.  AND, we have plans to expand and improve the more technical trails, namely Holy Schist and Pokerville.  Show up at the workday on May 14 and help out!  But we have to address the sustainability and inclusiveness, too.  I hope this makes sense.

What you love about Blue Mound will not be going away.  The trail stewards have a pretty good sense of how the trail system is perceived.  We've been working to address the common complaints, but there's a balancing act between managing the natural rawness of the current trails, and being more inclusive and opening the door to riders of various skill levels.  We need your faith in us that we can get this right.  And your money, or preferably someone else's money.

Donate to a great project!  Tell your employer, local bike shop, and local bike retailer to support this. Go here:
    https://give.madcitydirt.com/bluemound

Questions?  Contact the trail stewards.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:25 AM by Gary S »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 01, 2022, 08:43 AM

This is great news. I've already made a shop query about getting 27.5 x 4.5 DJ tires. I feel this is just the sort of snowmobile partnership we need. They can do beverage cart service when the golf carts will fail in winter.

XXX

April 15, 2022, 11:53 PM

I was so relieved when I read this was a joke

Greetings fellow mountain bikers!

We have some exciting news!  Due to an overwhelming number of favorable comments and donations, and an amazing change of heart of our partners, we're happy to announce that we're re-aligning our mission at Blue Mound.  In order to fully accommodate the growing majority of trail users who favor a less technical trail experience, we'll be redesigning the trail known as "Gneiss" as a completely buffed and tuned FLOW TRAIL!  In addition, a generous segment of trail will be paved with quick-draining asphalt, so that there's always something to ride even when conditions are poor, which as we all know, is a lot of the time (literally like right now)!

The details are still being worked out, but we have several interested contractors who "know the flow", and can't wait to see what their proposals look like!  Does this sound exciting?  Stay tuned...

Alright, if you've been paying attention, you may have guessed this is an April Fool's joke.  And you would be correct.  After your blood pressure crescendos, read on.

With the Phase 1 and 2 rebuild projects, we're not focusing on flow trail, huge features, or gnar.  We ARE focusing on what the trail system currently lacks, creating opportunities for beginner and intermediate riders, increasing sustainability of the trails, and being able to open the trails sooner after crappy weather.  We also plan to improve the overall fun factor, and take advantage of natural features whenever possible.  All this, on less than half of the total trail system.  AND, we have plans to expand and improve the more technical trails, namely Holy Schist and Pokerville.  Show up at the workday on May 14 and help out!  But we have to address the sustainability and inclusiveness, too.  I hope this makes sense.

What you love about Blue Mound will not be going away.  The trail stewards have a pretty good sense of how the trail system is perceived.  We've been working to address the common complaints, but there's a balancing act between managing the natural rawness of the current trails, and being more inclusive and opening the door to riders of various skill levels.  We need your faith in us that we can get this right.  And your money, or preferably someone else's money.

Donate to a great project!  Tell your employer, local bike shop, and local bike retailer to support this. Go here:
    https://give.madcitydirt.com/bluemound

Questions?  Contact the trail stewards.

XXX

November 07, 2022, 08:17 PM

Hi all,
    First of all, I absolutely love this group—I’m a long-time lurker and frequent trail user. I’m truly so grateful for all you do for our shared community.
    But, could we please not rebuild Overlode and Holy Schist?

I’m a solidly intermediate rider. Blue Mound is HARD. But that’s why I love it. I keep track of every little bit of gnarl that I couldn’t clean the year before; I celebrate every small victory in my perennial (so far unsuccessful) attempt to make it through each segment without dabbing.

My dad was an old school MTB rider. He rode in the 80s and 90s on hand-built single track with zero suspension. He taught me to fall in love with the sport. Blue Mound is the only trail in South Central Wisconsin that makes me think of him every time I ride.

I’m really glad Gneiss is accessible to people who want flow or are newer to riding, but it also reminds me of, well, every other trail.

What makes Blue Mound special is just how rugged and rough it is. It is true old school stuff. To be honest, I’m sad enough to lose Gneiss. Please don’t let us lose anything else.

Keep riding, and, truly, thanks for what you do, my reservations aside,
    Gia

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 07, 2022, 08:40 PM

The reasons for the work that's been done and is planned is well documented. We can't make everyone happy. That said, Holy Schist isn't going to change much, and Pokerville, which I noticed you didn't mention, is still easily the most technical trail there, and is going to be expanded on. Looking forward to seeing you at future workdays!

XXX

November 08, 2022, 05:12 PM

If you are after old school singletrack, you should definitely investigate the farm as well.