•  

Seminole is shaping up!

June 03, 2015, 07:57 PM

Seminole is shaping up! the Outer Loop is complete, and the Inner Loop is well under way.

Look for signage, improved tread, and additional features throughout the season.

Workdays are Thursday evenings from 5-7pm unless otherwise noted. Exception is 6/11 as I will be riding in Moab, UT.

Also; remember the Grand (soft) Opening this Saturday the 6th!

XXX
    swannecks
    let er rip

June 05, 2015, 12:34 PM

just rode seminole for the first time yesterday.  Nice little trail! Keep up the good work!
    Im curious, Will the direction for the more difficult trail ever be reversed or is it permanently set in the current direction?

XXX

June 05, 2015, 09:32 PM

just rode seminole for the first time yesterday.  Nice little trail! Keep up the good work!
    Im curious, Will the direction for the more difficult trail ever be reversed or is it permanently set in the current direction?

The trails were originally planned to run clockwise as opposed to counter clock-wise, but when we really got in there and started looking at the tread we decided on it's current orientation. The direction of the "more difficult" trail allows for some fun higher speed sections and drop/jump options off the rocky old fence-lines. I see no change in direction coming. Keep in mind that the tread is not even in the right place in most of the "more difficult" trail; what is there has been ridden in only and will get corrected over this next season.

If you have specific ideas or recommendations; feel free to lend a hand at any of our workdays.

XXX

June 08, 2015, 08:36 AM

Took my 6 year old and 8 year old there yesterday.  It was their first trail riding and they loved it...well, that is until the 6 year old crashed at the very very end.  She'll get over it.  They both had a fun, didn't even mind that they had to push bikes uphill sometimes (the 6 year old is on a single speed 16" bike with coasters).  The Easy/Green trail is perfect for first timers.

Side note, this was the first signage that I've seen about being required to have a trail permit and signs indicating "You are entering Fee Area".  Little did I know that CamRock is apparently part of that as well.  Does anyone actually even police that?  And what does anyone do - stop you and your family while you're riding along and ask "Excuse me, but will you show me your trail permit?" 

XXX

June 08, 2015, 09:36 AM

Side note, this was the first signage that I've seen about being required to have a trail permit and signs indicating "You are entering Fee Area".  Little did I know that CamRock is apparently part of that as well.  Does anyone actually even police that?  And what does anyone do - stop you and your family while you're riding along and ask "Excuse me, but will you show me your trail permit?"

CamRock is a Dane County Park and yes you (anyone 16 years and older) need a county trail permit to ride there. Although it is not listed as a county park on Dane Co.'s website I believe the land that the Seminole Trails are on is owned by the county so it makes sense that the county permit would also be needed there.

https://www.reservedane.com/permits.aspx 

XXX

June 08, 2015, 11:30 AM

I don't know about Seminole, but I was checked 4 times last year at CamRock.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

June 10, 2015, 12:45 PM

I have encouraged the rangers at CamRock to enforce the permit there. It does a lot to show the amount of users at the park, and it also gets CORP revenue to build, maintain, and build new trail.
    Dane County just spent a cool million bucks on a new chunk of land to add to the park with the intent of more trails at CamRock. That is a LOT of bike passes!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    swannecks
    let er rip

June 10, 2015, 01:15 PM

wow! hadn't heard that... is there a plan for when ground will be broken for new trails on the new tract or is it way too early to know?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

June 10, 2015, 02:13 PM

wow! hadn't heard that... is there a plan for when ground will be broken for new trails on the new tract or is it way too early to know?
    Don't want to hijack the thread. I will post up on CamRock.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

June 11, 2015, 06:47 AM

I have encouraged the rangers at CamRock to enforce the permit there. It does a lot to show the amount of users at the park, and it also gets CORP revenue to build, maintain, and build new trail.
    Dane County just spent a cool million bucks on a new chunk of land to add to the park with the intent of more trails at CamRock. That is a LOT of bike passes!

My $.02 (I just realized that there is not a ¢ symbol on a keyboard anymore? just as well, I have no ¢ anyway; but I digress)

They can stop me as often as they like, I'm packing (passes, that is)

I figure the cost of the trail pass gets the trash containers emptied, the nice shelter houses maintained, well taken care of parking lots, clean flush toilets (no blue cabanas at CamRock).  I have been to numerous parks where this doesn't happen on a regular basis and morons (I mean other park users) just pile trash along side the overflowing refuse receptacle; disgusting porta-potties- well, we have all seen what happens there; busted beer bottles all over the parking lot and no place to chill out in the shade after a fun day at the park.

by buying said trail pass, I also figure I am casting my vote as a park user.  If the bean counters at the parks dept see that more MTB trail pass sales than, say,  x-c ski or other user fees  it bodes well for us.  Add that to the "boots on the ground" park employees see that "those MTB folks are out here every weekend busting ass on new trails, and I see a lot of people using them"  all of a sudden we are seen as partners in park development and not just more goofballs in sassy pants.

I also figure my annual donation to C.O.R.P. gets the trails built.

December 31 of a given calendar year, I write a check to C.O.R.P. January 1, I buy my state and Dane County trail passes.

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX

June 11, 2015, 09:12 AM

Great time had on the "all abilities" ride last night.  Some beginner MTBers out there that had a really good time.  The outer loop was perfect for them.  It was my 7yr old's first time on single track and she really enjoyed it, but told me later that she enjoyed the ice cream after much better ;-) Thanks for all the trail building efforts here.

XXX

June 14, 2015, 01:50 PM

Glad people are getting out there! I will continue to work on these trails throughout the season and hope to have them done by Winter2015,

Work days will continue Thursday evenings this Summer.