•  

CANCELLED Blue Mound Trail Work June 1-2

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

May 29, 2013, 07:04 AM

Due to the accumulated and forecast rain, I am cancelling the Blue Mound trail work scheduled for this weekend.

The trail between the parking lot and Pleasure Valley Trail where I had planned for us to work is relatively low-lying and does not drain well. It was wet last Saturday and I feel confident in stating that it will be saturated this coming Saturday even if the forecast rain doesn't come. The mud just isn't workable in its current state.

The dilatory efforts by the state Department of Natural Resources to resolve the legal standing of the bike trails at Blue Mound have left me with little flexibility in starting new work at the park. Elephants conceive and give birth. The light of galaxies gutters out. The DNR soldiers bravely on.

Walt

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 29, 2013, 02:06 PM

This is understandable but also very disappointing. I really hope things change in the future and everyone's attitude changes toward this place in general.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

May 29, 2013, 03:25 PM

This is understandable but also very disappointing. I really hope things change in the future and everyone's attitude changes toward this place in general.
    Second. One of the best trails in the state, and not getting the respect it deserves from management. I hope we can turn that around soon. Is this a situation where larger entities (IMBA?) could be of help?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

May 29, 2013, 05:12 PM

Second. One of the best trails in the state, and not getting the respect it deserves from management. I hope we can turn that around soon. Is this a situation where larger entities (IMBA?) could be of help?
    You make IMBA sound like Teamsters Chuck.  Yes, IMBA has ways to 'persuade' them.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

May 29, 2013, 06:29 PM

Hopefully this isn't coming across as me flailing around in unhappiness. I felt that I needed to go all in last weekend to be ready to fix trail. I didn't check the weather because forecasts longer than 5 days just aren't accurate. So I asked Kevin Swenson to move gravel and dirt fill into position this week. He agreed to give us 14 front-end loader scoops of gravel for the asking. This is not a trivial amount of work on his part.

When the 5-day forecast was in I was faced with the very real possibility that we would not be able to use the gravel, which would have been left partially blocking at least one segment of ski/hike trail. In my opinion, this isn't an acceptable outcome. It still may come to pass that the worst of the coming rain will skirt around Blue Mound, but the soil was pretty close to unworkable before the last rain.

The best wet weather option to use a larger group of volunteers is to have them cut brush to open up a trail corridor. With none of my proposals having gained approval, this wasn't an option. Gary and I discussed the possibility of repairing streambed crossings. The problem with this idea is the crossings that need attention the most need more than having a few rocks shuffled around. Without going into too much detail, we have a number of small crossings/dams that are backing up the drainage and making the surrounding trail into gumbo. More digging in mud!

Hopefully the issues with the park's master development plan will be resolved soon. We've had some assurances that things are moving along, but the process is completely closed to us.

Walt

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

May 29, 2013, 07:56 PM

Well just as last year, we've certainly had a strange spring.  Walt, I applaud your decision, and I thank you for your leadership as the trail steward for Blue Mounds.  I think we should look at the schedule for a weekend in maybe July to give Blue Mounds some effort from the club. Hopefully it is dry by then...

~ i like social d