•  

Just wanted to say hi New to this forum

Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 20, 2013, 03:14 PM

This is Jeremy  I have met quite a few members @ Quarry ridge and Barnyard classic. I was just a spectator @ BYC because I caught asthmatic bronchitis. I'm a big Specialized supporter. I sold and wrenched on Specialized for years. All other brands as well. I have just always loved Specialized from my first SJ back in 88. I was a bike mechanic for 16 years. I ride a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp upgraded to most all XTR. I love Shimano! I am a very good source for wrenching or upgrade technical info on bikes.  I still do race tunes on the side for Mountain bikes and road racers. I love the trails around here! Camrock and Quarry ridge are terrific!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 20, 2013, 07:10 PM

Nice to meet you. Hope to see you on the trails. The plan is to ride all year around :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

October 21, 2013, 06:52 PM

Welcome! I look forward to meeting/riding with you.

XXX

October 21, 2013, 07:38 PM

Hi Jeremy, I met you last Wednesday at Quarry. Nice to see you on the forums.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 21, 2013, 07:44 PM

Look forward to meeting and riding with more if the members here. It's a great club! Great riding with you Fat squirrel! ( I am terrible with names) You climbed really well!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 21, 2013, 08:30 PM

Great riding with you Fat squirrel! ( I am terrible with names) You climbed really well!
    This is common amongst all of us on the forum. We often joke that for any group rides or events we should wear name tags with our screen names and our real names so we would have clue who we are.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 08:48 AM

haha Love it!

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

October 22, 2013, 09:33 AM

Great riding with you Fat squirrel! ( I am terrible with names) You climbed really well!
    This is common amongst all of us on the forum. We often joke that for any group rides or events we should wear name tags with our screen names and our real names so we would have clue who we are.

Maybe the next jersey buy should come with names across the shoulder blades like football/hockey jerseys?

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 09:38 AM

Love it!

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 10:23 AM

I a decade off mountain biking which I deeply regret. In that time I gained 75 pounds. I regret that too. I got up to 295 which makes for a very slow arduous ride. When I first started riding again a mile ride with 1 mild hill was all I could do. So far I've lost 36 pounds. I didn't know there were any mountain bike trails in the Madison area and am delighted to find they are so good! Quarry ridge is so much fun! Love Camrock too! I am truly at home with dirt under my tire. I'm not as much into road riding. I have only done mountain biking from an early age. Went straight from BMX to a Specialized Stumpjumper in 88. I've never owned or ridden a road bike except for road tests on customer's bikes. I grew up mountain biking in Syracuse NY. Mtn biking has changed so dramatically! When I started everything was illegal or just on the verge of becoming illegal. Many legal trails we rode we expected to lose at any time. There was phenomenal riding at Green lakes just to the east of Syracuse. There was an abandoned outdoor motocross track at the top of SU hill called the Playground that was amazing. Real similar to Quarry park but more wide open. It had a pump track for motocross bikes that turned out to be ideal for Mtn bikes. Behind Green lakes was an area called the Supervees which cross crossed thru a deep ravine. 175 foot drop into it. Illegal. The area behind the playground passed under 690 into a rock quarry for a long 25 mile extremely technical single track. There was about 5 miles of it that crossed over very large broken flat refrigerator sized pieces of granite. With cracks in between ranging from a crack to a foot and a half. Very technical. Upstate NY is an area where a triple is really needed. Severe climbs. Many asphalt sections where 55 mph was doable on a daily basis. I love my 1X10 setup but it wouldn't work there. I moved out to Monterey CA in 94 just when everything was becoming illegal for mountain biking. I did a lot of night riding in NY. Night riding became a necessity in CA due to conflicts with wealthy equestrian riders. We rode trail @ night almost exclusively. I moved to Ann Arbor MI in 97 and just hated it. No trails. No hills. No lakes. Horrible. I sold my mountain bike a 98 Specialized ground control FSR comp which I truly regretted and moved to Milwaukee after 3 years. There are actually trails right in Milwaukee. Along the lake. Along the river. Easily accessible. Just gotta keep an eye out for vagrants and broken glass. I moved to Madison absolute end of '02 and found no trails to my horror. Thus began a decade of not riding. I made an attempt to keep riding. Bought a $2400 trek hard tail. It stayed in my basement for a decade. I converted to full suspension in '92. And have always felt most comfortable on a full suspension rig.
    I've owned quite a few Mtn bikes. Bikes were always around me. My stepdad was a bike mechanic and an auto mechanic. Worked his way thru mech engineering school. I built up my first bike solo when I was 8 from scrap parts. Including lacing up my own 20" wheels. I started working in a bike shop outside Syracuse @ 13 assembling bikes @ Wayne's bikes. Later on @ Advanced cyclery taking time out to join the army reserves. I built up a $1200 Haro alumina extreme in 90. Progressed to a Nishiki Alien AL. Rockshox Mag 21. I took over as service manager @ Chucks bikes on Erie blvd and picked up a Soecialized Stumpjumper FS cro moly. Steel is real. That was an incredible bike. A year later I converted to full suspension with a Nishiki FS2 comp. full XTR. I broke that frame. Got a Nishiki FS4 comp prototype frame out if it. Same thing as a Mantis Profloater. In fact had Mantis stickers on it. I whittled it down to 22 pounds flat with an insane assortment of Ti and prototype parts. Syncros tubular cro moly cranks. I had the 3rd White industries Aft tracker rear suspension hub. I moved out to CA in 94 after sucuring a job @ Nishiki headquarters in Southern CA. We rode from Santa Cruz to Mexico on highway 1 over the course of 3 months spending a month in Mexico to get me to my new job after a extended vacation. It was a mistake. In that 3 months the parent company (the name escapes me) of Nishiki folded reshuffled reorganized sold off parts of itself and by the time I got there the address I was supposed to report to was only an empty building. I got a job as service manager of Aquarians bikes in Monterey afterwards. Later on I was GM of campus bike and toy in Ann Arbor MI. Around 98 I stopped working in the bike industry. I felt it had waned severely. Mtn biking was in a recession. I didnt care for the Mtn bike designs. I am very relieved to see that ended. I think Mtn biking is heading in a very interesting direction. It's alive! It's full of ingenuity again! The new designs are terrific! There's 29ers! And now 27.5 which piques my interest. I started writing a book for bicycle maintenance and repair in 96. I think I will get back to it. I really like the community of Mtn bikers I've met in Corps!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 22, 2013, 11:48 AM

Awesome to hear the enthusiasm and rediscovery!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 12:48 PM

As far as recovery is concerned I am still a work in progress; I started racing cross country and downhill events around central NY.          I got sponsored when I was 19. Turned pro. Racing was very different then. Winners of events in pro elite class would win maybe 1k and the rest of the riders would win parts. I had been posting times within a minute of the pros. I gained a lot of attention by it. I got to go to events, meet and race with and ride with Tinker Juarez, Ned Overend, Hans Rey, Tattoo Lou Dejournas, Missy the Missile Giove, Brian Slopes Lopes and John Tomac. Primarily the last 4 only did downhill events of course. I was in 2nd place behind Hans Rey at a cross country race in NY when he crashed, broke his collarbone punctured a lung, and came very close to dying. He still talks about that crash. That was the crash that retired him from racing. Mostly he is well known for trials style riding. Most people didn't realize he also raced cross country and downhill. I didn't finish the race because I stayed with him until emergency crews arrived. Unfortunately I did not travel or travel far so I was limited where I could go and race. I didn't even own a car at that point. Sponsorship at that point for a relatively unknown up and comer didn't even necesarily mean you got a ride to events. Many of the earlier racers did all their own transpo. there wasn't a lot of money in it. It wasn't yet an Olympic sport. John Tomac was the one that really turned it around and starting making MONEY. I did it because I loved it. It was my passion.
         Unfortunately I crashed at a race at Mt Snow, VT July 4th weekend of 91. Downhill courses were just in their beginning at that point. For the most part it was straight down a triple black diamond ski slope with a few bermed turns to reduce speed. The 2 preliminary runs previous I had achieved 72mph. That was also the speed I wrecked at on the 3rd race run. I got charging hard  moved into first placed  forgot about the bermed turn. Didn't slow down, couldn't slow down for it. Most were slowing down to 35 mph to take it. I hit the backside of the bermed banked turn at speed rotated down in midair and hit the back side of the next log built berm headfirst. I broke my neck  C4-C5 compression fracture. Got 140 stitches out of it on my chin. Burst my helmet into a hundred pieces. Hit so hard I stopped my heart. The compression fracture put pressure on the nerve bundle going to my heart. Shut off all electrical stimulus to it. Turned it off like flipping a switch. It wasn't until the repositioned my head and neck putting me on the stretcher into the flight for life helicopter that my heart started beating again. That was 4 minutes later. My heart again stopped at the state border when they transferred me from the flight for life to an ambulance when enroute to the Albany head trauma center. For over 3 minutes. I was in a coma for 13 days. I don't remember any of it. The last thing I remember is seeing my Nishiki Alien AL on the back of the skilift chair next to my friend Bob's Nishiki Alien AL and remarking that that was a wild thing. I woke up 13 days later. I damaged my heart. I was not expected to survive. I had a little slurring of speech. Very mild. I did not have a halo or any form of neck stabilization. To put it blunt... I was not expected to survive and if I did since my heart had been stopped for so long I was expected to be a vegetable. They put me off in a secluded quiet room and were waiting for me to die. I woke up seeing myself in a hospital bed and was like uh oh what did I do? The stitches in my face had been taken out at 10 days. I had also had a small tree branch poke thru the side of my eyeball and had already had the stitches from that removed. I freaked out got up and left the hospital. The Drs didn't have any say in it. I just left. It took me about 9 months to fully recover mentally. Interestingly enough I remembered everything I had learned previous to the wreck. Sometimes when people wake up from a coma they don't remember how to use the bathroom or eat or read etc. I remembered all of that. I got home to Syracuse.  Hopped on my mountain bike and rode it down the steepest offroad hill in Syracuse. With a still broken unhealed neck. To prove I wasn't scared and could still do it. I sold that mtn bike the next day.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 01:03 PM

so my pro racing career lasted for maybe all of 3 races... I stopped riding. i got a job that wasn't involved in the bike industry. That lasted for 9 months. I got a job as service manager of Meltzer's bikes on Erie Blvd and bought the cro moly 93 Specialized Stumpjumper FS. I miss employee discount. I lived 18 miles from my work did not own a car so I rode a minimum of 36 miles a day 6 days a week. I was very familiar with all of the local trails. Misc random people would show up at my work seeking a guide for the trails. Many of the trails were illegal and hard to find if you didn't know where they were. You couldn't google trail locations. I would ride out and meet riders at the trail after work. Ride the trails for hours and then ride home. It wasn't unusual for me to ride 70+ miles a day. Always on a mtn bike. Always with knobby tires. Now here I am fat and out of shape with weak lungs and have a hard time imagining how I arrived here.
         I wish I could say it has been easy from there but it hasn't. In late Nov of 08 I blew out a disc in my neck C6-C7 and lost the use of my left arm until I got the 2 vertebrae fused in my neck. I watched my left arm whither and die. It was all I could do to hold a cup of coffee in my left hand. Thank god for a good job with good health benefits as the surgery was 280k. Thanks to Dr Reznick @ UW for being a gifted neurosurgeon. You have to go thru life with some gratitude. I am very lucky. Very lucky indeed. So I am out of shape and still have weak lungs and legs but I love mountain biking. It is my passion.  It is my soul. Hope to see more of you all out on the trails : )
         I got to ride a few legendary mtn bike trails like repack and Kamikazee and for that too I am grateful.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

October 22, 2013, 01:59 PM

name tags with our screen names and our real names so we would have clue who we are.

or just change our screen names to real names.....

~ i like social d

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 22, 2013, 02:46 PM

I'm @ Camrock. It's beautiful