•  

I hate my mtb

September 04, 2016, 05:39 PM

Dilemma here,
    I learned to ride mtb trails on my hybrid.  I upgraded to the Trek x-cal 8 this summer and I hate the bloody thing.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about the bike but I can't handle her in the corners!  The handlebars feel too wide and I just don't feel comfortable on the bike.  Thoughts?  I'm female, if that makes a difference.

XXX

September 04, 2016, 08:14 PM

There are a few things you could try before scrapping it and buying a new bike. If you can demo another bike, it might help you figure out what you like or don't like about yours, and what upgrades could help. Camrock Cafe has rentals/demos to ride on the trails.

A bike shop can cut your handlebars shorter, but don't go too narrow - wide bars offer some stability.

Decreasing your tire pressure will give more grip in the corners. If you switch to tubeless, you can run much lower pressures and get more grip. Or you could buy a new set of tires that are wider and have a more grippy tread pattern. They would roll slower, but it can make a huge difference in gaining confidence while cornering.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

September 04, 2016, 09:07 PM

Dilemma here,
    I learned to ride mtb trails on my hybrid.  I upgraded to the Trek x-cal 8 this summer and I hate the bloody thing.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about the bike but I can't handle her in the corners!  The handlebars feel too wide and I just don't feel comfortable on the bike.  Thoughts?  I'm female, if that makes a difference.

What happens in the corners that's not right? Tires washout? Feel too stretched out? Do the corners feel better if you stand up and have weight on pedals, butt back, plus arms and hands more relaxed?

My wife's REALLY gotten back into the sport and she likes wide bars, short stem, low seat and sticky tires. The XR2 tires you have are fast but I don't find them confidence inspiring in the corners. We have our Trek and non-Trek set up with their 3 back and 4 front tires. If the bike doesn't have a dropper post we stop and drop seat where she doesn't feel confident.

Try heels down, butt off seat and back, light hands and heavy feet to feel more confident.

Look at or measure your stem. If it's longer than 70 mm I have a shorter one you can try.

When you're in corners do you lean the bike over so the knobs toward side of tire get grip?

Good luck.

P.S. On Mondays CORP treasurer Brian usually leads a ride at Pleasant View or Quarry Ridge. Probably Quarry Ridge next time. Those rides are friendly and I'm sure someone would help with skills building.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 04, 2016, 09:17 PM

You don't even have to cut the handlebars: just move everything in in 1/2 inch increments. Then you can go back out of you went to far or don't like it. If you are liking them narrow, you should cut them before too long because the part sticking out past your hand is a lot more likely to hit a tree, but it gives you a chance to experiment.

Small changes in things like bar height, stem length, and fore-and-aft saddle position can also make pretty big differences, as well as tire choice and pressure. Some of these are cheap and easy to experiment with, others require a little investment, but still cheaper than a new bike.

Riding other bikes can help, but it is difficult to isolate the thing that makes you like one over another, and you may end up just wanting the other bike. Which can be fine if you're ready to buy another.

I'd start with shortening the bars and maybe moving the saddle back, if you can, and see what happens.

XXX

September 05, 2016, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the advice.  If I cut down the handlebars will that affect my ability to sell the bike?
    I'll definitely look into what adjustments I'm able to make, but I don't want to have an issue getting rid of the thing if it turns out I just can't make it work. 
    I'll see if I can try some different bikes.  I can't tell if it's really the handlebars, the tires or a combination of things that makes me feel uncomfortable.  I just know that riding isn't fun any more and I'm just a ball of nerves on that bike.     

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

September 05, 2016, 09:58 AM

That is a race style bike but my wife went from hate to like with slight bike change and listening to Brian on a ride.

Where she's been riding has made a big difference. Over and over and over on the new flow trails got her feeling confident and knowing what little changes in techniques do.

She's learned to get her bike leaned over more. More knobby tires and pressing them into the dirt have helped.

Pads - knee, shin, elbow. If you look on Facebook you'll see our IMBA rep Michelle often wears pads for XC riding.

I've got a more knobby 29 tire I'll give you but its better as a rear tire.

Don't know where you got your Trek, but wife doesn't trust most of the people at the Trek stores because they're too focused on racing. They gave us crap for wanting more knobby tires but then admitted they only race WORS or CX. They pushed clip pedals and she got hurt on them. She loves Chester pedals Trail This has and Five Ten women's free ride shoes.

Her formula for happy mom on MTB is ride with Brian, bike more like a jeep than racer and more flowing trail when your confidence is down.

XXX

September 05, 2016, 10:23 AM

That is a race style bike but my wife went from hate to like with slight bike change and listening to Brian on a ride.

Where she's been riding has made a big difference. Over and over and over on the new flow trails got her feeling confident and knowing what little changes in techniques do.

She's learned to get her bike leaned over more. More knobby tires and pressing them into the dirt have helped.

Pads - knee, shin, elbow. If you look on Facebook you'll see our IMBA rep Michelle often wears pads for XC riding.

I've got a more knobby 29 tire I'll give you but its better as a rear tire.

Don't know where you got your Trek, but wife doesn't trust most of the people at the Trek stores because they're too focused on racing. They gave us crap for wanting more knobby tires but then admitted they only race WORS or CX. They pushed clip pedals and she got hurt on them. She loves Chester pedals Trail This has and Five Ten women's free ride shoes.

Her formula for happy mom on MTB is ride with Brian, bike more like a jeep than racer and more flowing trail when your confidence is down.

Thanks!  I really appreciate the advice.  I prefer to ride at Kettle but I ride at Pleasant View because its close.  I'm not at all comfortable at Pleasant View on that bike. 

I got my bike at Trek.  They gave me crap when I hauled the bike in there a few weeks ago and demanded they cut down the seat post.  With the post all the way down my toes just skimmed the ground and while they told me I was right where I should be I just didn't feel comfortable.  They only cut it down an inch but it is a little better.

I have clipless pedals but I think I'm going to remove them until I'm more comfortable on the bike. 

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 05, 2016, 12:01 PM

With the post all the way down my toes just skimmed the ground and while they told me I was right where I should be I just didn't feel comfortable.

That doesn't sound right. That's pretty much as high as you'd ever want your saddle, and you should be able too lower it. Almost sounds like the whole bike is too big, though it could be that in larger wheel sizes and small frames there are limits to the adjustability. That would certainly make it feel sketchy.

It's probably worth it to get and ride with someone knowledgable. You can usually try out a couple other bikes for free on a group ride: most folks are happy to share if you complement their bike and explain your situation.

XXX

September 05, 2016, 04:10 PM

That doesn't sound right. That's pretty much as high as you'd ever want your saddle, and you should be able too lower it. Almost sounds like the whole bike is too big, though it could be that in larger wheel sizes and small frames there are limits to the adjustability. That would certainly make it feel sketchy.

That makes me feel better.  The Trek guys insisted I was where I should be, but I really don't feel comfortable.

XXX

September 06, 2016, 10:22 AM

Good advice in this thread. One thing watch out for though, if you don't love the bike then be careful about trying to put bandaids on the bits that bother you.  Little fixes can only change the overall feel of the bike so much and if the bike really doesn't suit you well then it may be better to cut your losses, sell it while it's still worth quite a bit and try something else.  Who knows, if you really aren't happy with your purchase then maybe the folks at Trek can help to get you on a bike that you like more.

XXX

September 08, 2016, 09:24 PM

Good advice in this thread. One thing watch out for though, if you don't love the bike then be careful about trying to put bandaids on the bits that bother you.  Little fixes can only change the overall feel of the bike so much and if the bike really doesn't suit you well then it may be better to cut your losses, sell it while it's still worth quite a bit and try something else.  Who knows, if you really aren't happy with your purchase then maybe the folks at Trek can help to get you on a bike that you like more.

Thanks.  I think I'm likely going to sell it and will just get something different next summer. 

XXX

September 12, 2016, 02:54 PM

I agree with all the advice given here.  I'll add my 2 cents and reiterate a bit:
    Knowlege is power - I wouldnt say to just move on, X-Cals are very decent bikes, but definately go out with someone knowlegable.  It does sound like your fit might be off - My gut says you're stretched out too far and almost certainly too high on the saddle.
    High seat post - Wow, Im disappointed some Trek guy said that.  I usually feel like a child when I ride my mnt bike because I keep the seat way low (when sitting my knees come up much higher than I'd ever want on a road bike.)  On mountain bike, you spend way more time out of the saddle.  You also dont want to come darn hard on it so you need some space for your knees to absorb some force before your butt meats your seat.  The Trek guys know that, maybe you got a new employee that was a roadie - cuz that does sound like he was fitting you correctly: for a road bike, not mountian.
    Bars- You probably do want to trim the bars if youre feeling they are wrong for you, but I would definately wait on that until youre sure youre keeping the bike - can't un-cut 'em!  Its all personal preference, wide bars help stability, but youre riding the kettles - so you have to fit those bad boys between some trees too.  Wide bars go better with short stems.  you might do better with a shorter stem, but again, riding with someone who knows well might help out alot.
    Tire pressure - Personally, Im a tube boy.  But I ride solo alot and it sucks if you puncture your tubeless and youre 8 miles out.  Even if you carry a spare tube for emergencies, its a sticky messy job once all the tubless goo is everywhere.  However, if youre feeling like youre not gripping, lower your tire pressure.  With tubes, you can easily get to the minimum rated on the tire.  Even lower if tubeless.  Lower pressure = more traction (and more resistance too though.)
    End of the day - You have to love your bike.  If Low or no cost tweaks are not doing it for you, I'd look elsewhere.  If the bars aren't carbon, anyone wiht a hack saw can shorten them for you: $0.  Same for the seat post.  In both cases thoug - dont do it to agressivley.  A little short won't effect resale.  Alot probably will. 

An Invitation - Every Tue and Thr this month (trails permitting*) we will have a group ride out to Pleasant View.  We leave from Capital Brewery slightly before 5:30.  Meet us there!  Or at the Pleasant View trailhead - look for a bunch of guys probably with a higher than normal number of Cap Brewery jerseys (though most wont be wearig them.)  No club membership needed.  Come drink after too!  Definately some knowlege to be had here. 
    *Check this very site for if the Pleasant View trails are open.  It looks likely they will be closed tomorrow and possibly Thr, but if the trails open, we'll be hosting a ride.  (I will also be riding there tonight around 5 - green to black fade Trek Stache Singlespeed, 3" front tire.  Name's Dave)

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission

XXX

September 13, 2016, 09:18 PM

What time of day on Mondays? I'm usually off work then.

Meyer

XXX

September 14, 2016, 03:13 PM

If youre asking what time on Mondays we have those rides - we dont, Tue and Thr during Sept leaving from Capital Brewery at about 5:20 (at the Pleasantview trailhead around ~5:35 - 5:45)

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

September 14, 2016, 11:15 PM

I think Brian has rides on Monday at PV. Not sure what time.