•  

Assistant Trail Stewards

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 22, 2017, 08:47 PM

Are you looking to help out at your favorite trail with more than a work-day for two, but not ready for the responsibility of Trail Steward?  Then we have the spot for you!  Here's the job description:

Assist Trail Stewards as needed, primarily in the field in the form of organizing and leading trail work.  Keep abreast of the Trails Steward’s work in order to be able to stand in for the Trail Steward.

No special skill or knowledge needed, you can learn on the job.  If you are reasonably organized and enthusiastic, you'll do a fine job.  If you are interested or have questions, reply here and we'll get you in touch with the right person.

XXX

August 24, 2018, 12:11 PM

I recently moved to the Sun Prairie area and am really close to Sheehan park, if the assistant trail steward spot is still open, I'd love to help out.

XXX
    rkmears
    Newb Dirt Guy

August 24, 2018, 12:37 PM

Sign me up for Camrock.

XXX

September 10, 2018, 04:14 AM

I just did Sheehan park for the first time and really enjoyed it!
    Though I did notice that there were two trees that were down and blocking the regular path that forced detours.
    I don't have any experience with a chainsaw but would be willing to help clear the cut logs with anyone who does.
    I also noticed some of the side trails that are north of the main ones with nature reclaiming it being choked with weeds.
    Is this intentional or from neglect of a lack of volunteers?
    Again, I'm willing to help out if the intention is to make these trails useful again.
    Otherwise for now the map with the red lines does not apply. 
    The entrance and exit are both the same at the green arrow.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:20 AM by RedStrong »

XXX

September 10, 2018, 12:04 PM

Though I did notice that there were two trees that were down and blocking the regular path that forced detours.
    I don't have any experience with a chainsaw but would be willing to help clear the cut logs with anyone who does.
    I also noticed some of the side trails that are north of the main ones with nature reclaiming it being choked with weeds.
    Again, I'm willing to help out if the intention is to make these trails useful again.

RedStrong
    Thanks for the offer to help. At the moment we are not allowed to provide any maintenance on the Sheehan Park trails. Once we get the MOU in place, trail work can again commence. Until that time, the trail is 'as is'.  Be safe.
    If you live in Sun Prairie, you could reach out to your alders and ask them for an update on the MOU. You might also consider sending your trail report to Sun Prairie's Parks department.

XXX

September 10, 2018, 12:08 PM

I recently moved to the Sun Prairie area and am really close to Sheehan park, if the assistant trail steward spot is still open, I'd love to help out.
    Thank you for your offer to assist with the trails in Sheehan Park. At the moment we have both trail stewards and assistant trail stewards on hold. Though the trails are available for riding, no maintenance can occur until we have a MOU in place with the City of Sun Prairie. Any unauthorized maintenance could lead to a permanent trail closure. Until that time, please be careful on the trails.

XXX

September 11, 2018, 02:00 PM

RedStrong
    Thanks for the offer to help. At the moment we are not allowed to provide any maintenance on the Sheehan Park trails. Once we get the MOU in place, trail work can again commence. Until that time, the trail is 'as is'.  Be safe.
    If you live in Sun Prairie, you could reach out to your alders and ask them for an update on the MOU. You might also consider sending your trail report to Sun Prairie's Parks department.

Thank you for the reply.

What is "MOU?"

I'm a Madison resident. Do you think they would still take my report under consideration?

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 11, 2018, 07:02 PM

Memorandum of Understanding. Basically an agreement between the city and us governing trail building/maintenance/etc.  It’s a long story why there isn’t one and how we got to this situation, hopefully one that ends soon.

It can’t hurt for you to send a message to Parks.  Residents opinions may carry more weight, but them knowing that people want to use their facilities and would like to see them in  better condition might move things along