•  

Dog walkers at Seminole

April 04, 2021, 12:57 PM

just to let people know, there are dog walkers using the trails at Seminole, with potential issues with at least one dog. 

During the winter, one older couple were frequently on the trail that have a smallish (maybe 20 pound?) dog, red/gold coat and white underside.  That dog tried to bite shins.  These owners frequently didn't have the leash reined in enough, so the dog would lunge and get a mouthful of pant leg. 

Today, (I believe it was the same dog) it bit me and broke the skin resulting in puncture wounds.  I got them cleaned out but I neglected to get the owner's name so that I could ensure that the dog is up to date with all vaccines.  It was not wearing tags as far as I could see.

If biking at Seminole, be aware that there are dog walkers using the trails , and that not all of them may have their dog under control. 

Karl

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

April 04, 2021, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the report, sorry you got bit.  Hiking and dog walking is allowed on the trails, but obviously owners need to keep their dogs under control, and that sounds like a dog who has some issues and probably shouldn't be on the trails.  I would encourage you to report the incident to Dane County Parks; it won't do much good for this particular incident, but them having a record is important if it becomes a recurring issue.  They will send a Ranger out if keeps happening.  Hopefully you heal up quickly.

XXX

April 05, 2021, 11:56 AM

Done.  Thanks for the tip/link.  I should have thought of reporting it sooner.  Hopefully the yesterday's occurrence woke the owners up and it won't happen again.   

XXX

April 05, 2021, 03:45 PM

Sorry that happened to you.  I've had multiple negative interactions with a couple that fits this description.  I've stopped to have a conversation about their out of control and off-leash dogs (my concern was their dogs getting hurt), and they were openly hostile and demanded to see my trail pass.  They made it very clear they near the park, and are openly resentful that bikes are allowed.  This is the first I've heard of a bite, so I think it makes sense to request their name for reporting of any future incidents.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:42 PM by augs »

XXX
    Karl
    New Glarus Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 05, 2021, 07:49 PM

Good general advice, get the owners contact info if you get bit.  If not, the county animal control department can't ID and quarantine the pooch to see if it has rabies.  Things then get more complicated.

XXX
    JR
    Trail Steward - Seminole

April 05, 2021, 07:53 PM

We are well aware of the neighbors and certain ones being outspoken of the trail happenings, they are best approached with a smile and a positive attitude. However there is no place for an aggressive dog in a DCP. If others have had similar experiences please PM with the details.

A friendly reminder can be that Dane County Parks require the following :
    Dogs must have a valid dog permit.
    Dogs must be leashed and restrained by a 6-foot static leash.