•  

Madison tire choice and new member

March 12, 2022, 08:22 PM

Hello just moved to madison from europe. Will be here for 2 years. I am wondering about tire choice for the local trails. What are you guys riding with? I am from the netherlands and at home you can ride almost no profile at al (maxxis recon race / ardent race). Which tires are best suited (maxxis recon / forecaster / minion dhf)? And als with thicker sidewall protection because of the rocks and stuff.

Hope you can help me on my way

Dennis

XXX

March 13, 2022, 11:14 AM

Lot of variability in local rider setups. I run 29x2.6, maxxis minion upfront with a rekon in the back. It works for me, but I have also ridden with guys using some pretty slick / fast rolling / less grippy tires and they didn’t seem to be having any major difficulties.

Outside of bluemound, the trails here really are not very rocky, so I personally don’t spend money on the super heavy duty casing stuff.

Welcome to Madison. Keep an eye out for group rides starting to get organized likely in April. Good way to meet local riders.

XXX

March 13, 2022, 12:24 PM

Hello

Oke thanks i will be running a little more profile i think. Hope to meet you then on one of the group rides

Dennis

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

March 16, 2022, 07:02 AM

Welcome. I like a general purpose knobby tire and casings with some protection - something between racy and a heavy duty downhill tire. I will ride to trailheads and some longer XC rides so that's why I don't run the highest traction tires even though I like them a lot. I also like to get my stuff from the independent shop CORP sponsors listed here.

Where and how you want to carry speed is the main factor for me. A rear tire with less knob also works well.

XXX

March 17, 2022, 02:58 PM

Middle-of-the-road tires is good. Some people prefer faster, personally I sacrifice some speed for better grip on my FS and something rollier on my hardtail.

XXX

March 20, 2022, 10:37 PM

Hello

Oke so i ordered a maxxis recon as a front tire and will be running a ardent race as a rear. Will any of you guys be going to the trail maintenance day april 9th? I want to come so i can help out and meet new people.

XXX

March 22, 2022, 08:10 AM

Quarry ridge work day is usually reasonably well attended, so I`m sure there will be a good number of people there. I myself hope to, but not clear that I can yet. I`ll certainly be at the Pleasant View workday on April 16.